2004 BMW X3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Fun to drive - but some problems
By Ben on 09/06/08 11:53 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I own the X3 2.5 for 4 years now. Fun to drive and a smart looking crossover. However Airbag mat (now a official recall) broke 5 times, windows seals have been replaced 3 times and car still CREAKS on every turn and pothole. Steering rack start creaking, too, and was completely replaced. I do find those problems not acceptable for BMW and will stay away until the get their quality back. BMW paid for their mistakes: I have bought their extended warranty for about 3000 extra to extend to 100k/6 years and they will fix no matter what without question ask. Do not get the car without warranty or prepaid service - it´s a money pit !

BMW X3 overview
By Ed Rohnk on 11/19/07 13:04 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

It is very responsive to the movement of the controls. Acceleration is good. Holds the road well. It is a surpringly nimble car for its size. The breaking is excellent. The interior is spacious. Dash board and instrument readouts are easy to see. I like the orange lighting at night. The exterior sun roof design is beautiful. I enjoy just looking at it.

Got rid of it!
By Lisa on 11/14/07 17:09 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I think I was just so excited to be able to say that I OWNED a "BMW" that I got too caught up in the name. I was so disappointed to find out that only weeks after I purchased the vehicle, it started rattling like a cage! It felt like it was falling apart. I expected alot more from a "BMW." I traded that sucker and am now the owner of a Lexus and I couldnt be happier!

40.000 mi X3
By Ken on 09/01/07 07:14 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The longer we've owned this car, the better we like it. The biggest drawback is the protruding plastic bits under the doors, everytime you get out you get dirty. Floor doesn't quite fold flat, but close enough. We bought snow tires as we do a good deal of winter driving and that made a ton of difference. The clutch and brakes have remained good, transmission and engine strong. Ownership drawbacks - high priced gas and oil.

Just Bought a Used 2004
By S Lanoue on 07/05/07 12:43 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've only owned the vehicle for 4 days and I'm quite attached already. The engine is powerful. One caution to first-time BMW drivers, the car uses premium gas. There are plenty of unique features that I'll be reading about for days and learning how to use (rain sensing windshield wipers, self-adjusting headlights, etc.). It does seem a bit utilitarian in the scarcity of luxury-type interior features (where's the built-in sunglass holder and coin rack?). Also, the ride is very springy/bouncy, not as smooth as I expected. Nonetheless, I am smitten at least with the novelty of it all.

BMW X3
By Riederer on 07/19/06 08:36 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Nice SUV (SAV). If I were shopping for a vehical today I would buy it again. This is the first vehicle I have owned that I can say that about.

Pleased
By Beamer on 07/10/06 03:08 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is well built and lives up to a top quality vehicle for the open road or city life.

VERY HAPPY
By CAROL on 03/18/06 08:54 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Love the car, very comfortable to drive and exciting. The sunroof is one of the best features. It's like having a convertible especially for the people in the back. Not as big as my previous SUV, but not as small as others. I would get another one in a heartbeat!!

no regrets
By bluecoyote on 12/30/05 06:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

i've been driving it for 1 and 1/2, and like it so much will likely buy it when lease is up. had an initial problem right after delivery - rattling windows. Dealer took care of it, no problems since. I have the faux leather interior which is awesome for my big dogs. Wish the trunk was little roomier and wish they had offered satellite radio at the time of purchase, but otherwise, it's great. Good gas mileage too. Would recommend this to anyone thinking of a crossover vehicle.

The 2.5 Manual Has Enough Power
By H. Jones on 12/29/05 16:01 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The 25 liter 6 speed manual trans. offers gear ratio's which are correct for the nenine. I get 20 mpg around town and 27-28 mpg on the road. I have heard complaints about the power. I live in the Rocky Mountains and have not trouble with power as well as no trouble with passing. Perhaps, drivers don't like the managing the power with a manual transmission. It takes deep snow well and will do a good job in mud (we have both). I replaced the original tires at 20,00 miles with Kelly Navigators; good tires! The only problem I have had is the seat cover on the drivers side cracking. It handles so well I think many sedans would be poor by comparison.