2004 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Not good quality for this model
By horacio on 01/14/10 12:55 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Needs a lot of maintenance, on brakes, tires are expensive, the moon roof does not work. It will cost like 2500 to fix, the first gear jumps really bad I scare to drive it now, and the ac compressor went out! Not a smart buy I have 99,500 miles on it.

Upholstery Seats
By RDLUI on 08/27/09 14:01 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this vehicle for my wife when it first came out in 2004. Drives well and is very responsive... just like most BMW's... Have had a good experience overall and not much to complain about. However, the upholstery (not leather but vinyl fabric?) on the front driver's seat started cracking during the 3rd year of ownership and the fabric was replaced under warranty during the 4th and final year of warranty. My complaint is that barely a year later, the same cracking is appearing on the same seat. My wife weighs about 105 lbs and there's only 52,000kms (30,000 miles) on the car!

Bimmer Family
By Bimmer Family on 07/28/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband bought this car for me for X-mas. I have been driving it for a couple years now and we are very pleased. We have made several long trips in it, in sun, rain and snow and had no problems. We have the six speed manual and the only thing I don't like is that it's so slow in 1st gear, but once into 2nd, it's very zippy and handles great. Even though the gas mileage could be better, we average 22-23 mpg's which I think is great for a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The navigation system is great! It always projects correct travel times.

Not what I was expecting from an SUV!
By Tavana on 06/01/09 22:00 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was a bit unsure if I should ever own an SUV, but after driving the X3 I was convinced that you can own an SUV and still feel like driving a sports car. I was impressed by the quickness and sportiness of the X3. Road handling feels like driving a 3 series with a kick! I highly recommend this car for those who want to have the fun of driving a BMW and have some luggage to carry with them. Watch out for gas expense! Premium fuel only??!!

One of the Best
By Ob on 02/19/09 16:49 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a wonderful vehicle. Had good experience with Highlander and Lexus RX300. X3 is different animal, performance and handling is awesome no comparison. I've put 60k miles on it with no issues at all. Drove X3 from Virginia to Jersey in heavy rain and absolutely loved the handling and performance. Drove Highlander and Lexus in heavy rain from DC to Jersey. X3 made highlander and Lexus look like a puppy. I'll keep X3 till it dies. I put my life on my cars and get my car maintained by authorized dealerships.Its maintenance cost over all per annum is almost same as Highlander and Lexus. In fact I ended up paying more for the Highlander and Lexus cause I put more miles.

Good but not great.
By poeschel1 on 01/24/09 06:16 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased this car to replace a Tahoe for fuel economy. Gets great fuel economy, 2.5l is adequate but wish I had gone with the 3.0l. Excellent stability in poor driving conditions. Fit and finish is severely lacking. Ash tray lid won't stay closed. Paint chipping on roof rack. Often have issues with door locking system. Radio seems to delete all preset stations every couple days. I also have 330i and experience none of these issues. BMW really missed the mark with this car. Feels like a Kia.

Fun to drive - but some problems
By Ben on 09/06/08 11:53 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I own the X3 2.5 for 4 years now. Fun to drive and a smart looking crossover. However Airbag mat (now a official recall) broke 5 times, windows seals have been replaced 3 times and car still CREAKS on every turn and pothole. Steering rack start creaking, too, and was completely replaced. I do find those problems not acceptable for BMW and will stay away until the get their quality back. BMW paid for their mistakes: I have bought their extended warranty for about 3000 extra to extend to 100k/6 years and they will fix no matter what without question ask. Do not get the car without warranty or prepaid service - it´s a money pit !

Airbags Failed to Deploy in Rollover
By Jen36 on 09/04/08 06:01 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Although very happy with my BMW Certified Used X3 the first year I have had it, when the time came for this vehicle to come through with safety features, it failed me. I just had an accident with my 2004 X3 yesterday in which there was a side impact followed by the vehicle rolling over to the left on the driver's side 3 times. None of my airbags ever deployed in the rollover. My head impacted the vehicle frame 3 times, when in fact in a rollover, my drivers side airbags should have deployed. I just had BMW replace my airbags 9 months ago due to a faulty indication light. The dealership is showing no interest in my complaint.

BMW X3 overview
By Ed Rohnk on 11/19/07 13:04 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

It is very responsive to the movement of the controls. Acceleration is good. Holds the road well. It is a surpringly nimble car for its size. The breaking is excellent. The interior is spacious. Dash board and instrument readouts are easy to see. I like the orange lighting at night. The exterior sun roof design is beautiful. I enjoy just looking at it.

Got rid of it!
By Lisa on 11/14/07 17:09 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I think I was just so excited to be able to say that I OWNED a "BMW" that I got too caught up in the name. I was so disappointed to find out that only weeks after I purchased the vehicle, it started rattling like a cage! It felt like it was falling apart. I expected alot more from a "BMW." I traded that sucker and am now the owner of a Lexus and I couldnt be happier!