Used 2004 BMW X3 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW X3 SUV

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

X3 3.0 the best
By krag

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

awsome ride! fast. responsive, excellent handling. good looks. more like a sports car than an SUV. BMW makes an excellent engine! highly reccomended. the price is right.

Favorite Features

sport transmission. excellent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

just a little more interior room.

x3- good deal
By fross

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great value for anyone wanting higher ride than a sedan, a Euro import and fun car. Have had mine for a month and with the exception of a belt that needs to be tightened all is well (knock wood. Spend time with your salesman though... there are may variatons of the X3 and it wasn't until after delivery that I realized there were options I would have liked. On the other hand, do you need radio controls on the wheel, fog lights etc. I saved some $$$. Buy this car if you want this size suv... hands down it's best deal out there

Favorite Features

Panaramic sun roof, seating comfort, agility. Vehicle handles as well as any sports sedan... lots of storage capacity with seats down

Suggested Improvements

They have to get headlights that turn off automatically when the car is shut off. This must be German thing. Gas mileage,leatherette interior hard to clean, location of power door lock - make the fog lights standard - Larger engine is way over priced- 6 grand to go from a 2.5 to a 3.0 is out of line

Puts the "U" in SUV
By oldvanhalenrules

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Was looking for an AWD vehicle that had comfortable seats for long drives to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe. Aggressive (high residual) factory financing from BMW lease promotion made this the logical choice over the 325xi sedan or wagon, or competitors' vehicles (yes, it's a minivan more than it is a sports car). Interior materials are better than what should be expected in a "utility" vehicle. Pretty quiet at highway speeds. Looking forward to testing in the snow this winter. My X3 replaced a Jeep Cherokee; I don't expect the X3 to go off-road. But with all maintenance covered for 4 years, I don't expect unforseen maintenance expenses, either.

Favorite Features

4-yr warranty w/ 100% maintenance covered. AWD. Good cargo room. Nice moonroof. Functional interior. Comfortable/supportive seats. Lots of airbags. Great brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Better OEM tires- the Bridgestone Turanzas are rated poorly in the snow. Wood interior is so cheesy in an SUV- can we get rid of this premium package bundle? Can we get all factory stereos to come with standard inputs for MP3 players? Would prefer an even more fuel-efficient engine.

Love my new X3 - 3.0
By Alansx3

2004 BMW X3 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just picked up my X3 from Sonnen BMW. The car is perfect. Itís mystic blue, 3.0 automatic with navigation, xenon, park distance control, premium and sport packages, premium sound. Handles better than any other SUV Iíve tried and very similar to my 2001 330i. Really looking forward to taking it in the Tahoe snow this winter.

Favorite Features

Navigation Ė great interface and very useful if youíre unfamiliar with the area. It always keeps you on track. Xenon headlights are amazing. Visibility is greatly improved when cornering at night. Interior bike rack is great if your bikes are not too large.

Suggested Improvements

Include floor matts. A car that cost this much should not have floor matts as an option.

Love it so; But I wish..........
By supaman

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

My girlfriend and I recentley purchased an 04 X3 2.5i Auto.. We have had so much fun in our X3 and we have only had it for a couple months. This vehicle can do anything you want, and then some! We love driving it, even rock, paper, scissoring to see who will drive. Overall we are in line with most reviews you will read. It's a great vehicle, but watch that bottom line. Although from most measurables the majority of X3's look and perform very similar or the same, the prices are very very different.

Favorite Features

The Adaptive Headlight System, The Panorama Moonroof (both must haves with this vehicle if you ask us), and of course Xdrive. Although we did not purchase the premium package we both loved BMW assist and the automatic seat and mirror adjustment that came with it. But is it worth the $$$ ?

Suggested Improvements

A suspension setting switch that allows drivers to select comfort or touring modes. Ride stiffness is a bit much after a while, and some very pothole filled roads can make you feel like a wagon train member. That stiffness also allows for some major fun on good roads, so why can't BMW give us both?