2004 BMW X3 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
Not a good ownership experience
By tshurts on 08/27/14 17:59 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X3 for 10 years and will never purchase another BMW. It started out with having a faulty rim. I then have had 10 window regulators replaced, starting within the first year of ownership. I have also replaced the transfer case and rear differential costing over $6,000. Now the transfer case motor has failed. I have only put 100,000 miles on my car in the 10 years I have owned it. You failed BMW. I will not be a repeat customer.

very high maintenance dealership poor service
By motherofonyx on 01/20/14 19:42 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

purchased for daughter, needed complete brakes just at 50,000 was not offered extended warranty would have helped, had back latch motor replaced twice, 3rd time was not under warranty, door locks sometimes they do not work? not sure if one needs too push really hard or if it has a ghost, upholstery is cheap, drivers side has tear, this car has not been abused so feel the upholstery is cheap very little storage, very basic is an automatic get very good gas mileage, breaks replaced again at 75,000 go figure, all spark plugs replaced at 80,000 is very expensive to maintain thank god it is dependable doesn't have issues however just basic maintenance too costly now retired income

Not a bad small SUV
By cchao01 on 07/27/13 22:20 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car used in 2007 from a used car lot with around 40,000 miles for about 30k currently it has over 94,000. This car has been a dream. It's been in three crashes two head on collisions and a hit and run. All three times the car preformed well (these were medium speed crashes so around 30 Mph). the only parts that needed to be replaced was an oil filter and a right front cracked wheel. This car has NO options on it and has a very cheap vinyl upholstery and for the price it is disappointing but over time it's a good thing because less stuff to go wrong it drives fantastically and still looks good at 10 years but it is overpriced and CAN'T GO OFF ROAD. Would recommend this car

Fun little SUV
By kaileak on 10/24/12 16:39 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second BMW, i also own a 2008 BMW 128i. When i first drove the X3, being that it is now 8 years old, i expected it to not be very tight. I expexted a little bit of slop in the suspension, leaks, breaking that wasnt as good as it once was. Boy was i surprised, this X3 handles like my 128i and still has a nice stiff ride.

Great car with little flaw
By Great car w/little f on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

is it just my x? backseat gets wet whenever it rains. 3.0 seems right idea. 6 cd changer would've been nice. overall, tight ride.

Everything is going wrong at 60k plus
By Michelle on 07/21/10 19:43 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the X3 for nearly two years. I am now having all sorts of issue about to have to replace the compressor at 67k already had to replace front brakes need rear brakes now. Have problems with the locking system. Also rear lighter cover wont stay closed. Overall I have enjoyed driving the SUV still with a sports car feel. Wish I would have bought the extended warranty,

Best Sport Utility Vehicle Ever Made
By MH on 07/09/10 19:25 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The old (2004) BMW X3 has the best road feel of any car I have ever driven, that includes, BMW 528, 525i, 540i, 740 iL, GMC Yukon, Jeeps, Cadillac CTS. The X3 is a great car. One feels the tightness of the four wheel drive under all conditions. Do not believe those who criticize the steering and handling of this car, they are off base. The gas mileage is outstanding for continuous four wheel drive.

Great in the snow
By Snow girl on 01/24/10 20:36 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We live in area of heavy snowfall and call this car "snow leopard". Its handling in the ice and snow is the best. It is much better in the deep snow than my Toyota Landcruiser.

Not good quality for this model
By horacio on 01/14/10 12:55 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Needs a lot of maintenance, on brakes, tires are expensive, the moon roof does not work. It will cost like 2500 to fix, the first gear jumps really bad I scare to drive it now, and the ac compressor went out! Not a smart buy I have 99,500 miles on it.

Upholstery Seats
By RDLUI on 08/27/09 14:01 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 SUV 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this vehicle for my wife when it first came out in 2004. Drives well and is very responsive... just like most BMW's... Have had a good experience overall and not much to complain about. However, the upholstery (not leather but vinyl fabric?) on the front driver's seat started cracking during the 3rd year of ownership and the fabric was replaced under warranty during the 4th and final year of warranty. My complaint is that barely a year later, the same cracking is appearing on the same seat. My wife weighs about 105 lbs and there's only 52,000kms (30,000 miles) on the car!