2004 BMW X3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:
2004 BMW X3 3.0
By kti1 on 02/26/14 17:18 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is amazing! The awd makes it simply impossible to loose control in the rain, the steering is a blast. The 3.0 has plenty of power and gets great gas mileage for an AWD SAV. 6 cd changer, panoramic roof, heated seats, leather, steering controls, navigation, the incredible amount of air bags that are standard! Everyone complaining about the expense is moronic, you're driving a bmw, not a toyota or honda. So far all i had to do was a couple of hoses, tires ect. You do pay more than a rav4 or crv, but then again theres a reason you bought this car! Currently at 134k miles and still drives like new! Driving this baby into the ground

Punishing ride.
By tomaszek on 10/29/13 19:47 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I had this car for 6 years. It was solid car with not too many problems. They are 3 times more to fix than on american car though. Key is 173 $ for example. Brakes $756. I bought it on advice from magazine as "best car in its class". Not. Is the most expensive car in its class. You can have Lexus RX for the money which is better and bigger car. Or 2 Honda CRVs which any of them will be worth more at trade in in 10 years. This car is shame for BMW. The ride is punishing harsh. The manual transmission is totally not math to engine. Panorama sunroof lets in so much noise. The leather seats have ugly inserts. The car is noisy and full of rattles. I felt like driving the cheap car.

Fun but only with a warranty folks
By BMW X3 3.0 on 02/20/10 11:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought ours used with 84k CPO from a private dealer for $17.5K, we just love the handling & performance. Its like a 3 series but then again an X5, no worries about weather conditions-very safe for the family. Drives/looks like new even with near 100k mileage. Panoramic roof is awesome until the panels didn't close- dealer replaced roof cassette under warranty ($3900 repair) Windshield chips easily ($900 repair) Heated steering wheel & seats are a must. Rain sensing wipers are cool. Please understand the need for a warranty, BMW's are great cars and very reliable (if cared for) but have a maintenance fund/credit card set aside if you purchase w/o warranty

Bimmer Family
By Bimmer Family on 07/28/09 18:10 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My husband bought this car for me for X-mas. I have been driving it for a couple years now and we are very pleased. We have made several long trips in it, in sun, rain and snow and had no problems. We have the six speed manual and the only thing I don't like is that it's so slow in 1st gear, but once into 2nd, it's very zippy and handles great. Even though the gas mileage could be better, we average 22-23 mpg's which I think is great for a 4-wheel drive vehicle. The navigation system is great! It always projects correct travel times.

Not what I was expecting from an SUV!
By Tavana on 06/01/09 22:00 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I was a bit unsure if I should ever own an SUV, but after driving the X3 I was convinced that you can own an SUV and still feel like driving a sports car. I was impressed by the quickness and sportiness of the X3. Road handling feels like driving a 3 series with a kick! I highly recommend this car for those who want to have the fun of driving a BMW and have some luggage to carry with them. Watch out for gas expense! Premium fuel only??!!

One of the Best
By Ob on 02/19/09 16:49 PM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a wonderful vehicle. Had good experience with Highlander and Lexus RX300. X3 is different animal, performance and handling is awesome no comparison. I've put 60k miles on it with no issues at all. Drove X3 from Virginia to Jersey in heavy rain and absolutely loved the handling and performance. Drove Highlander and Lexus in heavy rain from DC to Jersey. X3 made highlander and Lexus look like a puppy. I'll keep X3 till it dies. I put my life on my cars and get my car maintained by authorized dealerships.Its maintenance cost over all per annum is almost same as Highlander and Lexus. In fact I ended up paying more for the Highlander and Lexus cause I put more miles.

Airbags Failed to Deploy in Rollover
By Jen36 on 09/04/08 06:01 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Although very happy with my BMW Certified Used X3 the first year I have had it, when the time came for this vehicle to come through with safety features, it failed me. I just had an accident with my 2004 X3 yesterday in which there was a side impact followed by the vehicle rolling over to the left on the driver's side 3 times. None of my airbags ever deployed in the rollover. My head impacted the vehicle frame 3 times, when in fact in a rollover, my drivers side airbags should have deployed. I just had BMW replace my airbags 9 months ago due to a faulty indication light. The dealership is showing no interest in my complaint.

Small BMW SUV a Winner
By NES on 06/20/07 07:33 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned SUVs for 20 years - Jeep, Mercedes, Honda, etc. This is the best balance between a fun, powerful passing machine and a car to haul things in. Love it. Seats a little hard, but very supportive. No maintenance problems at all. Great warranty.

Used purchase
By D Carty on 03/15/07 08:33 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Was ready to buy either new Rav4 or CRV for wife who requires all wheel drive, but really wanted X3. Found used vehicle at reasonable price with 30K mi. All around better quality (currently own 21 yr old 528e and 33 yr old 2002). Consider to be much better vehicle used than new Rav4 or CRV! X drive is unbelievable!

2004 BMW X3 Pros & Cons
By jbutch on 01/23/07 10:40 AM (PST)

2004 BMW X3 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Pros: this is an awesome SUV with a manual transmission making it fun to drive - zippy! It's very hard to find american SUVs that are at least 6 cylinder with a stick shift & this one has a 6 speed! Love that! Great size for women who think most SUVs are too big and hard to handle. It's slightly larger than a Toyota RAV4, but well appointed with panoramic sun roof & nice detailing throughout.