Used 2004 BMW X3 2.5i Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW X3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Not your father's Oldsmobile...
By Carrie

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Love the BMW. Although the car starts out as pricey, $35,000 at the time, I don't think I have spent more than $5000 in the time I have owned it, 12 years! Not a very high price to pay to drive such a responsive automobile. The quality is there and all my standard options are just starting to become standard on new cars today. You feel real good driving such a beautiful car. I think there is an elegance that is unique to a BMW owner when driving this vehicle. This is a SOLID vehicle that took a hit from a 20 ton drilling truck and suffered $5000 in body damage. The car has been checked and given a thumbs up as to any major, structural damage. This was three years ago. Seems Sarasota Drilling Company does not believe in maintaining their equipment as I do. Their BRAKES went out and the driver warned his supervisor...Go figure. They also do not put drivers with a CDL behind the wheels. It is truly a driving machine. Do NOT skimp on tires. The better the tire, the better the handling. Sound system is outstanding. Visibility is excellent unlike other SUVs I have driven. NO Blindspots! It is just a Nice Car and my 3rd BMW. I have also owned the 2000 X3 and a 1988 740i. These cars are excellent investments as based on the resale value that they hold. Assembled in Austria and the Engine is from Germany. Lots of PEP in this little car! My favorite things about this BMW is the HUGE sun roof and the XENON headlamps that turn with the vehicle.

A great vehicle- now at 184,000 miles
By ABT

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

While our X3 hasn't been completely trouble-free over the 11 years and 184,000 miles we have owned it, it has remained a joy to drive. It has adequate cargo space and the interior and exterior have held up very well. Our son took it to college when my wife bought her 2009 328i, but after a year she took the X3 back and gave our son the 3er. We fully expect to keep it until it hits 200,000 miles- at which point we will probably replace it with a CPO X1.

Hard to Hold...
By Terry Nobles

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The steering has a very heavy feeling, not sure if this is common to this vehicle type. The interior has faded, which is to be expected in an older vehicle, but evidently BMW uses different types of material that may have all been the same color when it rolled off the line, but now some elements are totally different colors. Also, the seats are a bit hard and unsupportive - I expected more in this class of vehicle. Those things being said, I am happy overall with the vehicle, but I haven't had it that long.

Not a good ownership experience
By tshurts

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had my X3 for 10 years and will never purchase another BMW. It started out with having a faulty rim. I then have had 10 window regulators replaced, starting within the first year of ownership. I have also replaced the transfer case and rear differential costing over $6,000. Now the transfer case motor has failed. I have only put 100,000 miles on my car in the 10 years I have owned it. You failed BMW. I will not be a repeat customer.

very high maintenance dealership poor service
By motherofonyx

2004 BMW X3 2.5i AWD 4dr SUV (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

purchased for daughter, needed complete brakes just at 50,000 was not offered extended warranty would have helped, had back latch motor replaced twice, 3rd time was not under warranty, door locks sometimes they do not work? not sure if one needs too push really hard or if it has a ghost, upholstery is cheap, drivers side has tear, this car has not been abused so feel the upholstery is cheap very little storage, very basic is an automatic get very good gas mileage, breaks replaced again at 75,000 go figure, all spark plugs replaced at 80,000 is very expensive to maintain thank god it is dependable
doesn't have issues however just basic maintenance too costly now retired income

With the exception of the open and close locks the back hutch and poor upholstery and needing brakes and general maintenance far too often; love the way the car drives and handles The dealership could care less about their customers they really milk it after warranty and do very little while under warranty and have found independents most claim that they can fix them and very few can the car is 10 yrs old purchased brand new very disappointing to be forced to sell due to cost of ownership

brakes should last longer than 50,000? all electrical should have been better tested by manufacturer cheap interior basic bells and whistles for this price range is expected I had too pay additional 500 just for the key entry??