2016 BMW X1 SUV Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 BMW X1 SUV - Consumer Reviews

xDrive28i 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 8-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )

My first BMW - wont be my last!!
By Pat P.

2016 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned or leased MANY cars in my life..This is my first BMW and I just love it...What a great little SAV....

A real nice SUV
By Karen Carruol

2016 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This car handles and rides effortlessly. Great interior finish and instrumentation.

Significant improvement from the prev. generation!
By Peter Ghosh

2016 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I had a 2014 X1 (prev generation) that was my favorite car ever, but was coming off lease. I expected this new generation of X1 to be fair since it was being molded to look like the rest of the X-line family (truth be told, I wanted the Tesla Model 3 but couldn't wait that long). I was wrong. Dead wrong. This is actually more fun than the last one. Slightly less horsepower, yet the 0-60 is quicker. The move to a front-wheel-emphasized 4WD is not noticeable. I sometimes miss the hydraulic steering (however, the 2016's adaptive steering makes parking and city driving much easier). I got every tech package except the ACC (c'mon, an extra thousand, really?) and it seems worth it. By adding a few extra PSI to the tires (compared to the door sticker), I am getting 35+ MPG on the highway! Eco-mode is much more useful now without sacrifice (I especially didn't like the jolt on the 2014 when I needed to pass someone on the highway due to the shift timing change in this mode). The interior materials are a step up (interior lighting at night is especially top notch). The rear view is crowded compared to previous gen (due to smaller rear window and seat back obstructions), but not dangerous. The front seats are narrower than the last model and could use a little more cushioning as well - make sure you like them first vs. ordering the sports seats/package. I am 5'8 at 175 pounds so the base seats work for me. Overall, It's more luxurious, quieter and more fun than the previous generation (which was already great). I will have a hard time giving this up in 3 years.

Awesome little SUV
By DOROTHY THOMPSON

New and improved for 2016
By MH

2016 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The 2016 is roomier and drives much smoother than my previous 2013. The seats are more comfortable as well. Love the updates!