2015 BMW X1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 BMW X1

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

Goldilocks Size, Gold Bullion Price
By theomdude

2015 BMW X1 sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

A base model is, affordable by BMW standards, but to get the rear-view camera, you have to buy the costly nav and "driver assist" packages. The best interior (IMO) is the extra cost Terra/Petrol leather (Milk chocolate with white/blue piping) which only comes with the extra cost XLine Package that includes 18 inch lower profile (harsher riding and more expensive to replace) tires. Not really for a large family of large people, but for our purposes, occasionally carrying four normal size adults, it's perfect. All that said, we stretched our budget for a well optioned car with a sticker of $43,245 and we love it.

Favorite Features

Peppy turbo four cylinder engine with EPA combined average mpg of 27. Luscious Terra/Petrol leather (only available with XLine Packsge). Compact size, with reasonable interior room (two bicycles fit in the back with seats folded). Excellent handling, especially for an ShUV (Short Utility Vehicle). Auto start-stop reminds you that you are saving gas while the FUV (you figure it out) sitting next to you is gulping fossil fuel at zero mpg.

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust sound at idle reminds me of Grandpa's Farmall tractor. Make rear view camera standard. (It's coming by law anyway.) Find a way to carry a real spare tire and lose the run-flats. A cut sidewall can strand you waiting for a flat-bed. Incorporate an A/C duct to the back seat.

Satisfied not amazed
By ozarksf6

2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After 2000 miles in good and bad weather, I would say I'm satisfied but not amazed with the X1. This SAV is responsive and handles well. I was impressed with the stability in snow and ice. My disappointment is mostly with the base bluetooth interface. Old technology and not what should be standard on a premium vehicle. Like the transmission, hate the shifter. Is it a great value? Is it the best vehicle of its type? Perhaps not. It is my 5th BMW and 2nd currently owned. (Z4) something keeps bringing me back. If not the ultimate driving machine, it's a drivers vehicle and you don't get that from a subaru. Enough said.

Favorite Features

Exterior design. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Technology. Radio and interface. Shifter is awful.

fun exciting peppy little cuv - very pleased.
By raj1

2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Very cool good looking high build quality vehicle with peppy engine and precise steering with good road feel but still highly comfortable and luxurious. If you are not looking for a big vehicle, then this is definitely the one to get since it is more practical than a sedan like 3-series, but with all its fun. It is not cheap as some people suggest - if you add up all the options that are standard on 3-series, it gets more expensive than a 3-series. So in that sense it is better since the options are just that - optional.

Favorite Features

Auto high beams Auto-dimming mirrors start-stop feature - everyone complains about it, but I didn't find it any bothersome. If any, I found the turbo lag more bothersome if I had to pick between the two. I like the stop start feature because it is good for pollution at especially long red lights. I think it should be made mandatory across all vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

Seat felt a bit hard on long drive, but I am coming from Toyota sienna, so...

quick and nimble with no cost maintenance. sign me up.
By jjedmunds

2015 BMW X1 sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

i have now 13k miles on my X1. i got the 4 cylinder but it is very quick with 250lb torque. steering is precise and after 13k miles there is no problem and tires and brakes are fine. person wrote brakes gave out after 1,000 miles? he must be a cadillac dealer. there is no way they give out and if they did BMW replaces them. the start stop feature saves gas but it's optional to use. i turn it off mostly so i can have more fun but it is optional, so it's not an issue. the back seat is small. the cargo is small. it is not an SUV. it's a cross over.

Favorite Features

quick, good turning, smooth ride but feels the road, too. great visibility front seat driving.

Suggested Improvements

a bit more leg room up front and back seats but this is X1, not X3 or X5, so it reasons. side view mirrors lack visibility range.