2015 BMW X1 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

Great AWD wagon
By JD

2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Wagon, SAV? Whatever you want to call this AWD, its a great vehicle in its class. Started out driving Subarus, but wasn't sold- for the price. BMW delivers with the X1 by offering a great price- got mine at a big discount, and thats not hard to get with the X1 as the dealers stocked up, but weren't able to move them as quickly as they planned. Overall I'm happy. I love the solid streamlined interior and driver ergonomics. Love the giant sunroof, the ECO PRO mode- don't forget to turn it on to get the extra 5 to 6 miles to the gallon. Suspension was designed to be road feeing- so doesn't have the cushy feel of a Mommy bling SAV. The room in back is not generous but works fine. Picked up family from the airport with luggage and plenty of room in back for 2 persons luggage and leg space in rear bench- they stated as being fine- And Im 6'4"- plenty of cockpit room for me to scoot up a bit and still feel like my driving ergonomics weren't sacrificed. Road tripped to NE Canada last summer with a big Yakima Skybox on top of BMW factory racks. Had a great time and interior ergonomics provided great long drive passenger and driver comfort. I've owned the car for one year and have had zero mechanical issues. I have the entertainment/nav system and the navigation is reliable- but is best utilized before you start your drive. The bluetooth is OK- could use some refinements but works as it should, i.e. having to reboot bluetooth connections after plugging the phone into the USB is kind of lame, but I don't use the USB often enough to really care. Music and phone numbers are easily stored. All Wheel Drive capabilities are great- drove through 1.5' fresh snow no problem. Clearance is lower than Subaru, but good compromise to maintain road handling.

X1 a poor man's Macan S
By Terry Johnson

2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We needed to replace our car in the mountains for our vacation home and decided on the BMW X1 SAV. This is our 1st BMW (currently I drive a Porsche 997 C2 Cab and my wife drives a Porsche Cayenne S at our main home) and initially after test driving liked it (but I was leaning toward a Volvo V60 Cross Country...but was unable to work out the deal that I wanted) but after driving it for 2 weeks I more than like it! Amazing performance (for a turbo 4) and great gas mileage. Handling is superb....not my 911 type of handling...as it is not a sports car, but for what it is and for it's price tag superb. The best I have driven up to the Macan (which is in a totally different category all together!). There are a few downsides which are lack of storage inside the vehicle (ours is a 2015 and I have been told that it has been somewhat rectified with the 2016 year model) and...maybe just 1 downside then! Very happy so far.

Underwhelmed....ho...hum.
By MK Ide

2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Sure, its got sporty get-up-and-go and handling, but that is where the over-achievement ends.
Otherwise, its just "OK" as far as luxury brand vehicles go.

A quick list of the less-than-optimal "features":
-windows VERY quick to fog up when heat is on
-limited back-seat leg-room
-HD radio degraded within 1st year
-initially very quiet and within 6 months became significantly louder
-computer system frequently alerting (then not alerting) that all 4 tires were either low and/or flat and then not alerting on this
-computer system frequently alerting that radiator fluid was needed (within months of purchasing car and after adding fluid) and then not alerting on this

Not happy
By Jim Smith

2015 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Number of things that bother me.
1. front door handles will pinch the fire out of your fingers if you are not careful.
2. after 600 miles the car only gets 18.2 mpg in Dallas traffic. 8 miles below what they say it should get.
3. not much of a pickup
4. wheel base porpoises a lot.
UPDATE ON 3/8/2016 - MPG is still crappy for this type of vehicle , plus what is reported by BMW. Front door handles are poorly designed. Will really pinch you, if not careful. Now have about 1700 miles on automobile. Would not buy one again.
Just had interesting experience on this vehicle on 6/25/16. Had nail in left rear tire, and it could not repaired. Found out that there are 3 run flat tires which cannot be repaired and you have to buy a new one. The BMW X1 uses Pirelli, and that is one of the 3. Be sure, before you buy, to find if your run flats can be repaired. Very important.

Sport Hatchback that BMW doen't technically make
By Craig

2015 BMW X1 sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I know that everyone is jumping in the small crossover SUV pool but the X-1 (in my opinion) doesn't really strike me as an SUV. What it strikes me as is a 3 Series of 2 generations ago, re-imagined as a sport hatchback. I've had mine for a couple months and I really couldn't be happier with my decision. Mine is loaded: Ultimate package, X-Line package, Adaptive Xenon Lighting package, Cold-weather package, etc. but I bought it as a dealer demo with 6,800 miles on it so it was about $8,000 or so below sticker. We are empty-nesters and my wife has a Ford Explorer so I really could have gotten by with a smaller sport sedan or even a coupe (I test drove both). However, I am a cyclist and backpacker so having a bit more utility in the vehicle I drive every day kind of put the X-1 over the top for me. Plus the price was lower than a 3 series or a 228i AND I really don't feel like I gave up much in the way of driving dynamics. With 240hp and 260 lb/ft of torque, there is simply gobs of power on tap in this 3,500 lb car. I got the rwd version (we don't get much snow if any) so it handles like a true German sports sedan. It's shorter (nose-to-tail), narrower and lighter than the 3 Series wagon and it's like 9 inches shorter (in height) than the X3 so it really is more of a hatchback than a wagon or SUV. I also like that it has 7" of ground clearance: not enough to introduce too much lean in the corners, but enough to not have to worry about hitting curbs and parking barriers in parking lots. It's a very nice touring car on your favorite 2 lane hwy (or even the interstate) and it scoots around town or back roads as zippy as you want to. It has plenty of headroom in front and back. Negatives? Leg room in the back is a bit tight for adults, only 2 will comfortably ride in the back (due to the transmission tunnel), and there's a bit too much wind and road noise on the interstate for a BMW (in my opinion--having owned BMWs before). All of that I can live with because the virtues of this car far outweigh the negatives.