Used 2014 BMW X1 SUV Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW X1 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

Tak ada fun right out of my BMW
By PatD

2014 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

My first BMW and I'm now caught in the Takata airbag mess. BMW felt it was safe enough for me to drive but not take in trade, "they also have a stop sale on any affected models". I contacted BMW and asked for and got a rental car. The dealer now has my BMW and at this point I have doubts about if and when I will ever see it again and I'm sure I will take a beating when I trade or sell it if and when I do. Do yourself a favor go to safercar.gov and check the vehicle ID number of ANY CAR you have or are looking to buy to check for open recalls! Avoid any car with a TAKADA airbag open recall like the plague. On the bright side I have a rental 2016 VW Jetta 1.4 that is almost as peppy as my BMW, has a better quieter ride is way more roomy and it is getting between 36-38 MPG. (The BMW only got 23 MPG average) I could almost buy three VW's for what I paid for my X1 BMW . NEVER AGAIN LESSON LEARNED.. Foot Note: Several manufacturers are still making cars with these deadly inflators buyer beware!!!!!

perfect crossover
By Albert Wimmer

2014 BMW X1 SUV xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Drives very nimbly. Steering is easy on arthritic hands; in fact, that was one of the reasons we replaced a perfect 330xi. The only complaint I have is that the trunk release is near the trunk release and not easily reachable.

30days and 3000 miles
By Gone247

2014 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a great lil X1 and at a great price point for a 2014 used BMW. I downsized from my 2005 X5 which I loved and miss very much (had 160k miles and never a major repair or problem). I've always been happy with BMW's. I've owned 7, 5, 3 and X series throughout the last 20 or so years. The reason I down sized is because I'm a commuter and was looking for something that can give me 30mpg on the hwy. It was the BMW or Subaru. I've also enjoyed Subaru's and nowadays these are my only two choices of go to vehicles for cars as a daily driver. I'm a car enthusiast and have owned Ferrari, Mercedes, Lexus and plenty other luxury and sports cars. I'm not posting to brag I'm posting so the reader knows I have choices and know about many cars from first hand driving experience. This X1 is great in handling around town. I got this due to it's looks, compact size for ease of downtown parking, cargo area for placing travel bags, groceries and 60/40 split that I can slide in my surfboard. The only reason I didn't choose the Subaru is I really don't visit the snow that much. But if you get the X1 in the xDrive it'll be a very close match. I got the sDrive because it feels more like driving a sports car with that real wheel power and cutting in tight corners when I punch it around the twisties and I like that feeling. Go for the Ultimate Package as it'll include many features like Navigation, Rear Camera and Parking Distance Control.

What I miss is having that extra space or elbow room when I have passengers and sitting much higher up (comparing with my old X5). What I love better is the newer electronics and fuel efficiency and having the Ultimate Package amenities. If you're looking into a used X1 then go with 2014 or 2015 model years. 2013 was the first year this model hit the US and the 2016 has been completely redesigned in and out. The deals are on the 2014 for all the lease returns that hit and chances are you'll still get the 4 year/50k miles free maintenance plan that's remaining and Certified Pre-Owned near bumper to bumper warranty if you buy it from a BMW dealer. All the BMW dealerships I checked out actually had better deals compared to other car lots.

An (very) entry BMW....
By Albert

2014 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Base model X1, 2.8xDrive (very basic interior)
+ sporty feel and drive
+ great handling and feel on windy roads and highway
- tight feel up front 6ft male
- tight leg room for adult, tight leg room for 10 y/o male behind 6ft driver
- Unless low price is most important or harsh, but sporty drive is wanted, strongly consider 2016 model!

Albert
[HTML removed]

Should NOT have the BMW badge
By JW

2014 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have the 2014 xDrive28i model. The seats are cheap and not comfortable for a long drive. The acceleration is more like a Ford Escort than a BMW. The sales guy said it is because it is a 4 cylinder. No excuse. The BMW engineers should be ashamed of what they created. The navigation is ok, but feels more like my 2004 Infiniti G35 than a 2014. The steering and suspension are stiff. This is good for me. It's very loud on the road. You hear everything. The tires wear down very quickly. The dealer was telling me to replace them at around 13,000 miles. Ridiculous. Anyone, besides my kids, who gets into the car has a little trouble, no matter how I position the passenger seat. I've taken the car to the dealer a dozen times over the past 2 years for different problems (wiper blades not contacting windshield, bluetooth wouldn't connect, valve cover leaking oil onto intake manifold, and the list goes on). Thankfully, I only have one year left on my lease. It kills me to have to drive this car for that long, but it's the commitment/mistake I made. I feel like I got taken by the BMW logo. Won't happen again.