Not For Everyone, But Great Car For Me
By steve_in_tx on
2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)
Drives like a sports sedan but relatively roomy in terms of headroom and (to a lesser degree) elbow room. I'm a bigger guy (6'1" and about 240), and I bought this as a compromise between the 3 series, which I felt was a little more low-slung than I like, and the X3, which felt relatively boat-like. Bonus: not only do I prefer the X1 to those two vehicles, but it is about $10K cheaper when similarly equipped.
Favorite Features
Acceleration. I went with the x35i over the x28i because I wanted the Ultimate Driving Machine. The x28' would be perfect for most people, as it is quite peppy, but I found myself wanting a bit more when test driving the x28' and found it when driving the x35i I love the Terra Leather interior as well.
Suggested Improvements
I'd like a bit more aggressive exterior styling. While better than a lot of small SUV's, this still has just a bit of "Soccer Mom" vibe to it. I tried to butch it up a bit by selecting the xLine trim package and adding the base support system (cross bars) to the roof rails. Those things did help. The rear seating area is a bit small. That isn't too big a concern for me right now, but it will probably limit how long I keep this car, as I have small but growing kids.