2014 BMW X1 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Bmw X1 - Consumer Reviews

2014 BMW X1 SUV

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

'Disappointment' is the best compliment this car gets
By mrcitizenkane

2014 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned five BMW's now including a 2001 3 series convertible, a 2003 3 series, a 2009 Z4 and now the X1. I intentionally dropped down in size and class of car, so I went in expecting some compromises..but not what I have gotten. Horribly cramped, the auto engine cut off is terrible, average gas mileage is 7-8 mpg worse than the lowest rating, interior is flimsy and several plastic pieces fall out of their place regularly and worst of all, my side airbags went of with no collision at all as I was taking a corner (BMW dealer has told me this isn't the first time they have dealt with this!) Add to this the fact that the seats are horribly uncomfortable and I am beyond disappointed.

Favorite Features

Love the roof rack for my bikes and kayak. For a small car it has moments of being decent to drive so long as the distance is short.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design needs a complete overhaul, build quality of the interior components needs to be upgraded and from my perspective the airbag thing makes this the worst car I have ever owned, when all of my other BMW's ranked in my top five.

Continually Amazed by BMW
By drevil3

2014 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned/driven the whole range of BMW - 3 series, 5, X6, 650, M3, etc. This car has the same DNA. I wanted something small and simple for work, baseball coaching, skiing, winter/summer. I looked at Subaru Outback. The outback was $13K less based on MSRP but the X1 leased for $150 less per ($330 per month with nothing down but an old Escape with 130K miles). The little engine is just amazing even comparing to all the big BMW V8s. I dont need more than 240 hp. When BMW beats subaru on price+features, I'd call that value!

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, great balance between simplicity-comfort-performance. Unbelievably innexpensive (1000's less than Outback), 33 mpg highway

Suggested Improvements

Styling is very station wagin-ish. But I don't care...I was looking for function and value.

Just got one.
By arrowspace90

2014 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I can't say much about it, I got it for wife who said she wanted a hatchback with pep. These criteria took me to the VW GTI, a very highly rated and affordable car. We test drove one of those, and wife found it too low, and plain looking. She somehow decided it was a "kid car". I was frustrated and so surfed to the X1. Wife loved it's classy look (the BMW emblem on it didn't hurt anything), it's higher stance, and was very happy driving it. It's amazingly affordable. Her's has the moonroof and the nice rain-sensing wipers. Most other features are standard. We picked out one of 3 white ones on the lot, I would have liked the premium audio and upgraded rearview with compass

Favorite Features

The car has good power and response. Handles well. I am slightly worried about the rear wheel drive, it will have to stay in the garage for Texas ice storms. Salesman said rear wheel is for balance and performance.

Big Disappointment
By viadrive

2014 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After 2 new Cadillacs and making the change to BMW in May, I have been very disappointed. First off when I drove the brakes had to be replaced with less than 1000 miles. The On/Off functionality is stupid. When you park the car it shuts off except for the accessories and you have to turn it on and then off again which causes wear and tear per the manual. And after 4 months apparently there was liquid spilled on the iDrive which caused it to be replaced for the cost of $650. Unbelievable design to put an electronic iDrive between 2 cup holders that can't withstand condensation from a cup. Cheap interior as well. Never Again!

Favorite Features

It's a BMW!

Suggested Improvements

BMW has realized the on/off functionality is stupid, so they have changed it now. Apparently you have to spend $30K+ to get the functionality to open the rear doors with keyless entry by buying a 5 or 7 series, which pretty much makes the keyless entry useless. So if you use a computer bag regularly and want to put it in the back seat. And of course don't put the electronics in the middle of the console.

A BMW from the good old days of BMW design
By abmwfan

2014 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought this X1 because it's a dying breed of BMW from times before BMW went soft, heavy, and lost their steering mojo. It has the chassis and handling dynamics from the previous generation E90/E91 platform that's one of the best handling 3 series. It has hydraulic steering instead of BMW's new vague, imprecise electric steering. Those are combined with the most recent, excellent drive train. Add the comparatively low price and this BMW is unique. It will be replaced in the 2016 model year by a front-wheel drive platform shared with the Mini Cooper. Yuck.

Favorite Features

High roof creates an airy, roomy front cabin with good forward visibility. Excellent power and handling. Very flingable in corners. Responsive transmission. Easy to enter and exit the driver's seat through the wide door opening and high roof line. The suspension is very firm, but not harsh. Loves to be driven hard. Capable of excellent mpg, but it won't live up to its potential if you drive it the way it wants to be driven. Retains some of the convenience of an SUV, but it's really more of a sporty hatchback. Current gen iDrive is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Rear-seat leg room is nearly non-existent and is only suitable for small children. The center arm rest and console between the front seats are too low and don't provide adequate support to the right side of the driver's body. (This is common in cross-overs that re-use interior hardware from a sedan. Vehicles like the Volvo XC60 have the same problem.) The base, non-sport seats are small and have minimal lateral support and thigh support, so they're not well suited for spirited driving or long trips. If you want to have fun with this, I recommend a trim line with sport seats. Base stereo system can't compete with the too-loud exhaust note that constantly buzzes and drones.