2014 BMW X1 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

Great little SUV
By Rlg

2014 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have a 328i convertble as well as the X1. The X1 handles as good as my 328i. Fun to drive, easy entry front and back seats, and quick when needed. Great car.

'Disappointment' is the best compliment this car gets
By mrcitizenkane

2014 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned five BMW's now including a 2001 3 series convertible, a 2003 3 series, a 2009 Z4 and now the X1. I intentionally dropped down in size and class of car, so I went in expecting some compromises..but not what I have gotten. Horribly cramped, the auto engine cut off is terrible, average gas mileage is 7-8 mpg worse than the lowest rating, interior is flimsy and several plastic pieces fall out of their place regularly and worst of all, my side airbags went of with no collision at all as I was taking a corner (BMW dealer has told me this isn't the first time they have dealt with this!) Add to this the fact that the seats are horribly uncomfortable and I am beyond disappointed.

Love the roof rack for my bikes and kayak. For a small car it has moments of being decent to drive so long as the distance is short.

Interior design needs a complete overhaul, build quality of the interior components needs to be upgraded and from my perspective the airbag thing makes this the worst car I have ever owned, when all of my other BMW's ranked in my top five.

Continually Amazed by BMW
By drevil3

2014 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned/driven the whole range of BMW - 3 series, 5, X6, 650, M3, etc. This car has the same DNA. I wanted something small and simple for work, baseball coaching, skiing, winter/summer. I looked at Subaru Outback. The outback was $13K less based on MSRP but the X1 leased for $150 less per ($330 per month with nothing down but an old Escape with 130K miles). The little engine is just amazing even comparing to all the big BMW V8s. I dont need more than 240 hp. When BMW beats subaru on price+features, I'd call that value!

Comfortable interior, great balance between simplicity-comfort-performance. Unbelievably innexpensive (1000's less than Outback), 33 mpg highway

Styling is very station wagin-ish. But I don't care...I was looking for function and value.

Just got one.
By arrowspace90

2014 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I can't say much about it, I got it for wife who said she wanted a hatchback with pep. These criteria took me to the VW GTI, a very highly rated and affordable car. We test drove one of those, and wife found it too low, and plain looking. She somehow decided it was a "kid car". I was frustrated and so surfed to the X1. Wife loved it's classy look (the BMW emblem on it didn't hurt anything), it's higher stance, and was very happy driving it. It's amazingly affordable. Her's has the moonroof and the nice rain-sensing wipers. Most other features are standard. We picked out one of 3 white ones on the lot, I would have liked the premium audio and upgraded rearview with compass

The car has good power and response. Handles well. I am slightly worried about the rear wheel drive, it will have to stay in the garage for Texas ice storms. Salesman said rear wheel is for balance and performance.

Big Disappointment
By viadrive

2014 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After 2 new Cadillacs and making the change to BMW in May, I have been very disappointed. First off when I drove the brakes had to be replaced with less than 1000 miles. The On/Off functionality is stupid. When you park the car it shuts off except for the accessories and you have to turn it on and then off again which causes wear and tear per the manual. And after 4 months apparently there was liquid spilled on the iDrive which caused it to be replaced for the cost of $650. Unbelievable design to put an electronic iDrive between 2 cup holders that can't withstand condensation from a cup. Cheap interior as well. Never Again!

It's a BMW!

BMW has realized the on/off functionality is stupid, so they have changed it now. Apparently you have to spend $30K+ to get the functionality to open the rear doors with keyless entry by buying a 5 or 7 series, which pretty much makes the keyless entry useless. So if you use a computer bag regularly and want to put it in the back seat. And of course don't put the electronics in the middle of the console.