2014 BMW X1 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X1 model:
A BMW from the good old days of BMW design
By abmwfan on 06/21/14 09:02 AM (PDT)

2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought this X1 because it's a dying breed of BMW from times before BMW went soft, heavy, and lost their steering mojo. It has the chassis and handling dynamics from the previous generation E90/E91 platform that's one of the best handling 3 series. It has hydraulic steering instead of BMW's new vague, imprecise electric steering. Those are combined with the most recent, excellent drive train. Add the comparatively low price and this BMW is unique. It will be replaced in the 2016 model year by a front-wheel drive platform shared with the Mini Cooper. Yuck.

from 325i to X1
By myushko on 03/27/14 21:17 PM (PDT)

2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I traded in my old (and long out of warranty 2005 325i) for new X1 with premium package. Note: I got it cheaper than edmunds suggested price, so use it as trading starting point So far I have 400 miles only and will try to update it later. But for now I am very biased and I like this car. I like driving and this one just pure joy. However my old 325i could turn sharper (X1 center of gravity is higher). Also turbo does not respond as fast as my previous car's 6cil from dead stop. There is a short delay and then turbo delivers massive torque and then traction control has to work hard ;) On the hiway its pure joy, power is always there when you need it. At 400 mi I got 26+ mpg, no eco-pro

Not For Everyone, But Great Car For Me
By steve_in_tx on 03/12/14 13:25 PM (PDT)

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Drives like a sports sedan but relatively roomy in terms of headroom and (to a lesser degree) elbow room. I'm a bigger guy (6'1" and about 240), and I bought this as a compromise between the 3 series, which I felt was a little more low-slung than I like, and the X3, which felt relatively boat-like. Bonus: not only do I prefer the X1 to those two vehicles, but it is about $10K cheaper when similarly equipped.

Much Better than Expected
By ponch on 02/05/14 12:15 PM (PST)

2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I was a bit concerned about the 4 cylinder engine but boy does it still provide a lot of pep. Lots of grip. Feels like I am driving an expensive sports sedan. Has the same confident, lane-holding feel when you are zipping down the far left lane on the highway like you feel in an X5. Lots of room in the front, though not much for storage. There are only 2 safety belts in the rear though there is room for a 3rd person in the middle. Because of the 40/20/40 split, there is a lot of storage flexibility. The fuel economy is nice too. I bought mine as a service loaner w 4K miles and WHAT A VALUE at around $31K. I am as satisfied with this vehicle as with any vehicle previously owned.

EDP X1
By bmwcca325xi on 10/14/13 22:10 PM (PDT)

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Ordered car and picked up in Munich as an EDP car in June. Major options: M Package, Winter Package. Nice firm ride and soaks up bumps well. Drove car 2,850 miles in Germany, Austria, and France. Top speed driven was 125 mph on the Autobahn -- car was feeling floaty so did not go faster although the engine could handle it. No issues in Europe over 2,850 miles. Averaged 25 to 28 mpg. Back in Calif., I have driven 2,200 miles and averaged from 25 to 27 mpg since being back. I attribute the same MPG while driving much slower to the lower fuel quality (ethanol)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 BMW X1 in VA is:

$172 per month*