2013 BMW X1 Consumer Review: lacking

2013 BMW X1 SUV - Consumer Review

lacking
By snowbird100 on

2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Have driven my X1 over 2000 miles and still the fuel efficiency is only 27.3 max. I drive only highways, use the cruise control, and the eco option. The steering wheel feels heavy (in comparison with my old SAAB that is a delight to drive) but I will take a bunch of weight lifting classes with a personal trainer starting next week so this should help to drive (no kidding - it is a heavy cow, like it has no power assist, maybe it does not). The car does not allow for a trailer mount to put a bike rack on the back, the roof rack is hard to find (yes, Thule apparently makes it but I ordered one at REI over a month ago and I am still waiting). It looks nice in orange, though...

Valencia Orange, general looks,

trailer mount, roof racks at the dealerships, easy steering wheel operation, make it an outdoor bum friendly, please
By jeffrey1700
on 01/27/14 16:28 PM (PST)

I totally agree with the tight steering, I have a X1 myself and it's a workout after driving it. The reason why the steering is so tight is because BMW uses Run-flat tires for their cars and in order to gel the leak or gap the tire that had been hit with something, your steering will be very secure.

By cabmwman43
on 04/09/14 11:48 AM (PDT)

Just a bit more input on the subject of heavy steering on the BMW X-1. This smallest of BMW Sport "Activity" Vehciles is based on the chassis, suspension, and steering of the old BMW E-90 Class 3-Series that was in production in one body style or another - the couple & convertible being the final production model in the US - from 2006 up through late 2013. The BMW E-90 3 Series was well known for its heavily weighted hydraulically activated power steering. I still own a 2008 328i with Sport Package and love that heavily weighted steering that provides lots of feedback as to what the front tires are doing at speed. The new F-30 3 Series, and the next variant of the X-1, due around 2016, will feature an electric power steering system that is now known for its numbness, lack of feedback, and the total absence of effort that is required. Today I happen to be driving a 2014 328i with that hotly disputed Electric Power Steering. For those of you who are accustomed to most Japanese, Korean, and American cars trust me ask for a BMW with the no effort required electric power steering because you will love it. As for those of us who enjoy a great performance car, you might just enjoy driving the present X-1 as it has the best steering rack in the current BMW line-up. It is either that or keep fixing your old BMW's and wait for them to deliver us an Electric Power Steering system that doubles as a good performance rack. After all if Porsche can do it surely BMW can figure it out!!!