Does what it says
By clipperskipper on
2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
Over the last six months, I looked at and drove every available vehicle in its class, and the X1 is about as good as it gets. It is solid, reliable, relatively economical, handles well, is quiet, and has enough room for a small family. It looks good and the build quality is impressive. Visibility is good for its class and it is loaded with enough technology to keep most people happy. With the "save the planet" switch ( aka eco-pro ) turned off it accelerates to 60 mph in less than 6.5 seconds, and with it on, the fun factor drops but the mileage goes up. You get to pick!
Favorite Features
4 cyl turbo engine. 8 speed transmission. Good mileage for a SUV. Sporty handling. Good build quality. Though ground clearance is a healthy 7 inches, cornering is still effortless. Panoramic sunroof is a nice feature.
Suggested Improvements
I-drive not completely intuitive. Car should be delivered with DVD explaining options....or salesman should be better prepared to go through setup on delivery. Auto stop-start could be more seamless...though it was less intrusive on the demonstrator than it is on my vehicle. Run-flat tires are expensive to replace. Options run the base price up fairly quickly.
By clipperskipper
on 06/29/13 18:56 PM (PDT)

Good question, Anthony. While the X1 is new to the US it has been sold in Europe for over three years and the reported reliability there has been very good. At the three year refresh, basically there were cosmetic changes to the original model, so it is probably safe to assume the statistics are unlikely to change. Updating my prior post, we have had our X1 for seven months and it has performed well. We have actually recorded 34mpg driving from the Beltway in DC to the Holland Tunnel on one occasion. Some have complained about heavy steering, and it is heavier than on my 2 prior BMWs, but I haven't noticed this to be a problem. BTW, once I figured it out, the I-drive controls do make sense, but can be distracting.

By anthony94114
on 06/04/13 08:40 AM (PDT)

How do you know it's reliable if you just got the vehicle?