Beware of the tires!
By judith6 on
2013 BMW X1 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
The car has 3000 miles on it, is great to drive, good on ice and snow. Unfortunately, we have to drive it on a short gravel road....a road which is graded regularly and well maintained. A small piece of gravel embedded in the tire and caused a slow leak. When the stone was removed....totally flat tire which I was told did not allow the car to be driven (my home is 40 miles from the nearest dealer). No replacement tire available for 3 days. No loaner cars available. Almost $600 for a new tire....$130 for car rental. Perhaps this is an isolated event and there will be no additional tire problems. If not, there will be one very unhappy customer!
By anthony94114
on 06/04/13 08:38 AM (PDT)

This is exactly my fear of the combo of runflats with NO spare. I just went to the dealer to see if there's space for one but there is not (in case, for instance, Canada gets spares, so there's a cavity waiting for one). Nope. BMW is essentially against spare tires -yet thinks run-flats are good enough. I don't. RRrrrgh. I really want this car but we drive rurally and in town- the country situation you describe might cost them a $38,000 sale. I know it kept me out of a 3-series wagon this long for the same reason... good luck!!

By ad77
on 09/04/13 11:51 AM (PDT)

I thought it I was crazy for adding tire and wheel warranty ($1,200.00) but when I had to change one of the rear tires for a slow leak at $624.00 (it was free under the warranty) I figured one more and it would pay for itself. It may be too late in your case to add such warranty so best of luck in the future.

By cabmwman43
on 04/09/14 12:12 PM (PDT)

As a lover of all things BMW, and an owner who would drive nothing else, one of the things about driving a BMW is that this is a car company that takes can be quirky and takes its engineering to some pretty far out extremes. But lets talk about the cost of your replacement tires first! The standard size, Original Equipment (O.E.) front tires for an X-1, X-Drive 28i, are $253 plus tax and mounting from TireRack.Com. The rear O.E. tires are $206 plus tax & mounting. And overnight delivery to the garage of your choosing is available. If your X-1 is a Sport-Line or an M-Sport, your X-1 will be able to achieve a top speed of 149 m.p.h. versus the standard 130 m.p.h. and as such your tires will be somewhat more expense. By no means should they cost what your dealer quoted the price to be. In other words, never by your tires from a BMW dealer!!! Run flat tires depend on sidewalls that are so firm that they often feel like the tires themselves are made of solid steel. The benefit to this is at high speed, if you suffer a flat or tire failure, the tire itself will normally not rapidly deflate causing you to loose control and crash. This is a major factor why these cars may be driven on the autobahn at 150 m.p.h. all day long in complete safety. Having said that, I took the run-flat tires off of my 3-Series BMW and replaced them with regular Summer Performance Tires to improve the ride & handling. I live in an urban area and do not have to worry about being stranded on a remote gravel road. So in rural Canada perhaps changing to a more common regular tire is not such a good idea. But by going on-line to order your tires you will save a fortune. And while the run-flats may be a literal pain in your back side, they just might save your life!!! Just some food for thought!!!