2013 BMW X1 sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)
The X1 is a really good idea. For whatever reason Americans won't buy station wagons, even though they have tons of good qualities. Instead they buy pigmobile SUVs. The X1 is actually a 3 series station wagon, but designed to fool people into thinking it's an SUV. The 2 liter turbo four is plenty powerful with the 8 speed, and gets amazing gas mileage for the performance you get.
Unlike most SUVs this car has amazing handling.
About the only downside is that it is not large inside, for us it's fine, but this isn't going to work as a hauler.
Compare to something like a Subaru or 32k, the 38k for this is a bargain!
(1) 8 speed auto
(2) Absolutely light years ahead of Japanese, Korean and most other cars in handling.
(3) Decent gas mileage
(4) First 4 years of maintenance are free
(5) THe xDrive version uses hydraulic instead of electronic steering. If you're into cars you'll know what a huge advantage this is.
(6) Finally, a small turbo 4 with lots of power
(1) The manual is total gibberish
(2) Who ever design the audio system needs to be fired - totally unintuitive.
(3) Designed to be used with premium gas, although you can get by with midrange
† Edmunds.com received the highest numerical score in the proprietary J.D. Power 2014 Third-Party Automotive Website Evaluation Study℠. Results based on responses from 3,381 responses, measuring 14 companies and measures third-party automotive website usefulness among new and used vehicle shoppers. Proprietary study results are based on experiences and perceptions of owners surveyed from January 2014. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.