Used 2013 BMW X1 SUV Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X1 model:

X1 performs as review suggest
By Robb

2013 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The powertrain is what I like best about this vehicle. Strong acceleration with minimal turgo lag, especially at highway speeds. When you need to get power for passing or highway merging the throttle obliges. The 8 speed transmission operates in background without feeling shifts, really nice.

I acquired the X1 wanting a vehicle for commuting to work with the versatility to handle a run to Loews or a weekend trip for two without having a big SUV since I am mostly driving by myself the majority of the time. Looked at X3 but the trade off of the extra space versus fuel economy pushed me to the X1. At this point, I am happy with the decision to get the 2013 CPO X1. The lone exception to my positive experience is that the sound deadening for the 2013-2015 X1 is less than adequate. On highways that have grooves or are choppy, the mobile microphone via bluetooth picks up enough road noise to be a nuisance for the person you call. It's especially challenging if you are on a conference call with others (this happens for me quite a bit).

That said, I look forward to driving the X1 every time I step out the front door. It has plenty of power, the drive is nearly car-like, and the mineral gray with coral red leather interior and Sport line looks sweet and garners compliments

Some items to consider:

The Sport seats are WAY more comfortable than the stock seats. After driving X1's with Sport seats, I only looked at the Sport line. Drove the price up $1500 or so but I reasoned the seats are part of every drive so I would make up the difference over time of ownership.

The genius app very helpful in learning iDrive functions. My experience thus far is that the voice command functions don't work as well as I would prefer. Could be that I am not as up to speed on the voice commands as I need to be but what I've tried didn't work as desired.

Storage in front of vehicle not very plentiful but I knew that going in. Storage with seats down in back is quite plentiful.

Nav works well with the exception of voice commands as already mentioned.

X1
By Wentz Batson

2013 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

A great all-around package.
By M Houston

2013 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Driven my 2013 xDrive28 for 25000miles - and have no regrets. Really a surprisingly good wagon - the 8spd transmission and strong/efficient 4cyl. is impressive. Wish I had paddle shifters on mine, as I use the manual shifting option quite often and would prefer to use paddle shifters. Ergonomics are superb, electronics are for the most part all useful, iDrive system fairly intuitive, NAV system effective, though a bit frustrating to enter addresses/destinations using voice commands.
Couldn't find a better package for the price two years ago when I bought it, and still can't find anything that on the whole offers fewer compromises. Yes it is small, but I'm 5'10", and personally find the back seats quite comfortable, with plenty of headroom and legroom. If you are worried about the space back there (as I was), I would say don't rule it out, sit in it and see for yourself. My third BMW, and this one is by far the most reliable. Great car - highly recommended.

X1 perfect and fun
By David Miller

2013 BMW X1 SUV sDrive28i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

A small SUV with decent ground clearance in the 2WD version, it is perfect for two people and a pet to take on forest service roads to remote fly fishing spots, will hold bikes with the front tires mounted, accelerates briskly, gets good gas mileage, handles very well, and cruises effortlessly. At 50,000 miles we have had zero problems. At 60,000 miles still no repairs required.

Great for Everyday commute in the city
By Jopa

2013 BMW X1 SUV xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've been looking for an all wheel drive hatchback car for my daily commute. Since I live in the midwest region I have always experienced that AWD cars are perfect.

I am also into Cycling so I needed a car not to high so I can easily mount by Bicylces on the roof. I bought my X1 Certified Used at a local BMW dealership. I was so impressed with the performance of the car while test driving it on the roads both at High and Low speed driving. I've driven Domestic and Japanese models before but this car has surpassed the comfort and power and now I truly understand why they call it the ultimate driving machine.

The warranty also is much better than buying brand new Domestic brands since it came with a 100K Warranty being Certified used.

I've been driving my X1 for 6 months now and so far everything is perfect.