2008 BMW M5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.0L V10 7-speed Automated Manual - (11 reviews )
Can NOT go back
By blackm5_owner on 05/09/11 10:35 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have owned an M-5 for about 6 months now. I can say, I cannot go back to an "ordinary" BMW. The car is the most fun thing one can do with shoes on. It does drive a bit jerky at slow speeds, but I will say, it was not meant to go at slow speeds!. On a serios note, the SMG takes a little bit getting used to. I find manual to be a lot smoother. The only down side it gas milage, I am aroung 14.6-15 mpg. But it makes a statement, and turns heads whereever it goes. I love the growl it makes when I downshift. For all the folks who want an M experience, once you drive one, you cannot go back!

Great Car
By My M5 on 09/03/10 18:43 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I've had the car for nearly a year. Great daily driver and an amazing track car. The M5 outperformes most cars and is very easy to drive. The SMG takes time to master but once you're used to it, it's very smooth. You can launch the car using the smg as a clutch, very easy to do. Its the easiest car to drive. Just bad gas mileage. On the track its great. It can be driven very hard but it will overheat and the brakes will fade. Traction control cannot be totally disabled.

The SMG Beast
By Delta King on 04/18/10 07:18 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

This car is absolutely amazing, but this car will take most people a little time to learn how to drive. For example, on an up-hill start, the transmission has a built-brake that prevents the car from rolling back until accelerating forward, and resetting the clutch helps eliminate the jerky shifts. Once the car is learned, allow at least a month, it is an absolute masterpiece. If you want a car to just jump into like most traditional auto sports sedan, this car may not be for you. If you are willing to put a little time into learning this car, it will satisfy you every driving need! Take the driving class!

No More 2nd thoughts Part 3
By Nomore 2nd thoughts on 10/20/09 19:21 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Have owned for 2 yrs now and I still love it. Gas mileage has settled down ~15mpg. I took it in for a checkup ~16k mls; got a 328 loaner. Wow, there is a massive difference. I am completely and forever spoiled by my M. Had to buy new rear tires after 1yr/10k mls=$850. My fault-too much M button w/ traction control off. My only dislike; it is too much car for my streets. Almost unusably fast- no chance to really see what she can do!

Owner m5 2008
By leif on 03/03/09 18:46 PM (PST)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Since the purchase of this vehicle we have not had any problems with the car. I had to add 1 qt of oil after 5000 miles but it was free from BMW and the first 1200 mile service was free also. Have had to add some air in both front tires once. Other than that easy to drive and navigate through the entire system. Blue tooth works great and I have not had any problems with the car. I have owned many vehicles through the years and I have to say this is probably the ultimate vehicle that I have ever owned. Past cars owned has ranged from Porsche to Toyota Paseo.

No More 2nd Thoughts Part 2
By No mo 2nd thoughts 2 on 05/09/08 12:34 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have now owned the M5 for 4 months and it is pretty much broken in. I love it! I told myself min miles ~6-8k a year, but I have to drive it everyday! I just get a big smile on my face every time I get into it! Gas mileage update - I have a 25 mile drive to work everyday on a 45mph road w/ about 30 stop lights (that I constantly get caught at). I mostly drive in 400 hp (D1), but I let the 500hp monster go quite frequently (S4)- say 5 times a day (I'm gonna need new tires soon $$). With that, my avg gas mileage is better than when I first got it (see my first review) - 17mpg or ~330-350 miles before I fill it up.

Car Nirvana
By Sahib on 04/09/08 22:07 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

This car delivers daily driving pleasure through its smooth never ending power band and steering handling and precision. Its understated looks belie a technological beast of an engine that is superior to anything on the road, regardless of price. Handling is a joy and the engine wail is exhilarating. In idle the engine sounds a bit tinny but it opens up nicely. Only wish I could hear it more. I need an excuse to be in this car all the time. It calls me and is my "happy place" to be. My only complaint is that I wish I had more open road in front of me. The third gear is the sweetest - at 7,000 RPM it sings. Wish I could try 4th at 7,000 but too fast. Any opinions on 4th at 8,000 RPM?

What I expected
By elemis on 03/30/08 11:49 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Have had this vehicle 4 months now, so far very good experience. My second BMW, both purchased new, and thus far more reliable that previous (X5); really no problems that have required dealer visit (after a few items that were resolved at 1200 mile oil change). Great stealth car - looks much like "normal" 5 series to most, but really goes when challenged. Good daily driver, with room for luggage and 4 adults, and makes to / from work or airport almost fun. Sometimes tough to keep under speed limit - suggest a good radar detector, and set the speed limit warning because easy to go fast (set mine at 85). Given other alternatives available today, would buy another if this one disappeared.

No More 2nd Thoughts
By Marc on 01/30/08 04:42 AM (PST)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Ist new car, 1st BMW, and I was worried about the price. I just got it and all of the buyer's remorse/doubts are now gone. It's incredible & I love it! Did I say that it's incredible! Great performance & I am still in the break in period (<1200mls=<1/2 pedal,<5500 rpm). The only drawback is the gas mileage - I knew it was 11/17 mpg (more like 7 in stop and go-18 hwy @80mph & 11.5 combined-and I am babying the car right now!). But experiencing it first hand is something else! Interlagos Blue M5=Headturner!!

Oh My...
By FMINUS on 10/05/07 14:53 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have owned an NSX, S2000, E46 M3, Porsche TT, and F360, however nothing compares to the new M5. Simply amazing. Power everwhere, handling like no other, and space for 5. Simply amazing.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.