Used 2008 BMW M5 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Bmw M5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.0L V10 7-speed Automated Manual - (11 reviews )

Can NOT go back
By blackm5_owner

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have owned an M-5 for about 6 months now. I can say, I cannot go back to an "ordinary" BMW. The car is the most fun thing one can do with shoes on. It does drive a bit jerky at slow speeds, but I will say, it was not meant to go at slow speeds!. On a serios note, the SMG takes a little bit getting used to. I find manual to be a lot smoother. The only down side it gas milage, I am aroung 14.6-15 mpg. But it makes a statement, and turns heads whereever it goes. I love the growl it makes when I downshift. For all the folks who want an M experience, once you drive one, you cannot go back!

Favorite Features

M mode

Suggested Improvements

burns Oil, about a quart every 2-3k

Great Car
By My M5

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I've had the car for nearly a year. Great daily driver and an amazing track car. The M5 outperformes most cars and is very easy to drive. The SMG takes time to master but once you're used to it, it's very smooth. You can launch the car using the smg as a clutch, very easy to do. Its the easiest car to drive. Just bad gas mileage. On the track its great. It can be driven very hard but it will overheat and the brakes will fade. Traction control cannot be totally disabled.

Favorite Features

SMG makes shifting easy, fast and smooth. Lots of power, comfort and space.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes and engine tend to overheat on track. It can be driven very hard for only brief distances. Traction control interferes too much with driving on track.

The SMG Beast
By Delta King

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

This car is absolutely amazing, but this car will take most people a little time to learn how to drive. For example, on an up-hill start, the transmission has a built-brake that prevents the car from rolling back until accelerating forward, and resetting the clutch helps eliminate the jerky shifts. Once the car is learned, allow at least a month, it is an absolute masterpiece. If you want a car to just jump into like most traditional auto sports sedan, this car may not be for you. If you are willing to put a little time into learning this car, it will satisfy you every driving need! Take the driving class!

Favorite Features

The M mode is absolutely the best feature. It changed the car from a very comfortable family luxury sedan, into an absolute beast, slamming the wife and the kids heads back into head rest on every shift! LOL. And the brakes, Ooo Wee! A M A Z I N G!

Suggested Improvements

Not many.

No More 2nd thoughts Part 3
By Nomore 2nd thoughts

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Have owned for 2 yrs now and I still love it. Gas mileage has settled down ~15mpg. I took it in for a checkup ~16k mls; got a 328 loaner. Wow, there is a massive difference. I am completely and forever spoiled by my M. Had to buy new rear tires after 1yr/10k mls=$850. My fault-too much M button w/ traction control off. My only dislike; it is too much car for my streets. Almost unusably fast- no chance to really see what she can do!

Favorite Features

Steering/feedback/suspension and responsiveness. Wonder what the new M5 will be like. Still glad I bought it - depression/recession and all!

Suggested Improvements

It's a little heavy - and you can feel it while breaking and cornering. Not bad, but you definitely know that it's a sedan. Ventilated seats need a little more oomph...it gets hot and unless I'm perspiring (not in the M-that's why I have a beater too!) - it doesn't work that well.

Owner m5 2008
By leif

2008 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Since the purchase of this vehicle we have not had any problems with the car. I had to add 1 qt of oil after 5000 miles but it was free from BMW and the first 1200 mile service was free also. Have had to add some air in both front tires once. Other than that easy to drive and navigate through the entire system. Blue tooth works great and I have not had any problems with the car. I have owned many vehicles through the years and I have to say this is probably the ultimate vehicle that I have ever owned. Past cars owned has ranged from Porsche to Toyota Paseo.

Favorite Features

The m mode and the ease of switching to comfort mode with a button.Can use as a luxury car and a sports car. Smooth transmission excellent sound system great navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe more space for legs in the back even if not bad maybe just a bit more. I fit good in the back - am 6.2 240 lbs but could use a bit more.