2006 BMW M5 Sedan 5.0L V10 7-speed Automated Manual Consumer Reviews

2006 Bmw M5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.0L V10 7-speed Automated Manual - (31 reviews )

2006 M5 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Don't Make the Same Mistake!
By brandon54

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I bought an 06 BMW M5 in May with 68,000 miles. On the drive home, the oil cooler broke and started leaking oil. That was a $1500 repair, an addition to the money I just spent purchasing the car and approximately $1000 in taxes. A few weeks later, the passenger restraint malfunction showed up. The battery cable had to be replaced. I spent nearly $1000 on that particular issue, maybe more. Shortly after, I began to get transmission malfunctions, as well as engine malfunctions which placed the car in limp mode. I spent $7000 fixing the transmission problems and just a few months later, I'm having problems again. I've lost $15,000 this year because of the M5 and I'm done.

Favorite Features

V10 Engine, Active Seats, Heads-up Display

Suggested Improvements

SMG Transmission

State of the art in performance
By longman40

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Having driven BMW's for 39 years I can attest that this V10 is the state of the art in performance in a thoughtful, safe and understated sports car. It's like will not be seen again. I have had two of these - the E39 and the E60.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, in town driving with SMG is on a par with a trip to the track and much misunderstood. Only drive this car in SMG and M Mode.

Suggested Improvements

Larger fuel tank.

Experience with 2006 M5
By rsteele

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

The new BMW M5 has a substantially different character than the previous model: less low rpm torque, but more mid and high range power. Using the SMG transmission well is like learning an action video game or how to tango with a new dance partner. Once you've got the rhythm and the timing, it's a great transmission, but this may take 5,000-10,000 miles. That's why reviewers tend not to like it. Same with iDrive. It's clunky for tuning different radio stations, but very handy otherwise, once you've learned how to use it. Unlike with the Editor's M5 Review, I find the steering to be very good and much better than on my prior model M5. What's not good: fuel economy and driving range.

Favorite Features

Power, versatility, seating comfort, head up display, SMG transmission, iDrive, Highway prowess (you can put the car anywhere you want).

Suggested Improvements

Improved SMG (dual clutch design), more refinement and inter-model standardization in iDrive operation. Faster calculation of engine oil level (there's no dipstick). Direct injection for greater engine efficiency. Larger gas tank.

M5 rules
By Mach 5

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I studied and drove everything available in the 50-60K range. This car has everything you need and more power. The performance is outstanding. The exhaust sound has improved with mileage. Now it sounds WONDERFUL!

Favorite Features

SMG love hate relationship. Seats. Sound of the exhaust at 40k miles.

Suggested Improvements

Faster computer please. Everything takes too long compared to my A6.

Delayed Review
By vbprof

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have this car for about 4 years now. I am usually not an aggressive driver because I do not want to ruin the car (someone must think I am nuts to buy an M5 and drive like a grandma). I found it very powerful with the full power on. As I bought it in its first generation, I had many problems with oil leak, SMG failing, radio malfunctioning, and dead on the road (due to electronic problem in SMG). Well, after many trips to the dealership, it has been doing well recently. SMG is very sluggish between 1st and 2nd gear (it stinks especially when you are at a stop sign and want to speed up, but the car just gets "lazy"). Love the BMW full maintenance program. Love the iDrive too.

Favorite Features

iDrive, 500 HP, comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

more responsive SMG in lower gears, able to remember driving setting instead of default driving setting, faster blue tooth connection, option for tint windows, traffic info in navigation system

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7A)
By magiver

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

A wolf in sheep's clothing. Mild mannered driving around town and then head snapping acceleration and tight cornering is available when needed. The seats are incredibly comfortable for a tall driver. Great handling with the proper amount of feedback. Fit and finish are superb.

Favorite Features

507 horsepower under the hood!

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the iDrive as a means of controlling all functions. I would appreciate a fully manual transmission.

M5 rides again
By MacinTosh

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have owned a 2000 M5 and 2003 M5 and they were exceptional vehicles. I purchased my 06 M5 and was totally blown away. I even race at the Super Speedway and with 4 people I can hang with the Z06s and other modified models. It is a smooth and refined vehicle.

Favorite Features

Awesome machine! It fits together perfectly!

Suggested Improvements

My wife has a 2006 A8 and I would love to experience an All-Wheel Drive system in the M5

BMW M5 - World Class Fun
By Jordan Lamm

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have owned 4 BMWs and several other cars. The 2006 M5 is the most fun, practical car on the market. The SMG transmission is a blast - very versatile, fun to shift, useful but not great in auto mode. I get comments all the time about what a great car it is. And I love the iDrive. Yes, I would do some things differently, but overall it is very easy to use. Only complaint about the car is that I would like to see the dashboard more driver oriented like the E39 was.

Favorite Features

SMG, engine/powertrain is amazing, iDrive, looks. Did I say SMG?

Suggested Improvements

Return to driver oriented dash boards.

Such a fun beast to be in
By TK

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Took delivery in Germany (ED program - look into it!) and received it back in the US one month later. What a fabulous car. Whether driving at sane speeds (50-80 mph) or Autobahn speeds (150+ mph) the car is very predictable and gives excellent feedback. Doesn't feel like a 4000+ lb car through the twisties. SMG is a great system, once you get used to it.

Favorite Features

Driver feedback, pure power, V10 sound, high revving engine, excellent big brakes, full leather interior, sound system is good (although I don't use it much - like to listen to the engine).

Suggested Improvements

Better clear coat on paint, wish HUD was more easily user adjustable.

Mighty M5
By pgrantsr

2006 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I've only had my M5 for a month but in that time I have come to appreciate the beauty of this car. Sport car performance in a four door sedan. Engine that sings a beautiful song and has performance to match. Handling almost as good as my S2000 but without the harshness. Interior amenities to match any other manufacturer. The only downside is the poor gas mileage, but that is not the reason I bought this car.

Favorite Features

Engine, seating and comfort in general.

Suggested Improvements

SMG transmission still needs some work on programming. I am happy with iDrive after reading the manual and using it for a while.