Used 2006 BMW M5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW M5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.0L V10 7-speed Automated Manual - (31 reviews )

Don't Make the Same Mistake!
By brandon54

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I bought an 06 BMW M5 in May with 68,000 miles. On the drive home, the oil cooler broke and started leaking oil. That was a $1500 repair, an addition to the money I just spent purchasing the car and approximately $1000 in taxes. A few weeks later, the passenger restraint malfunction showed up. The battery cable had to be replaced. I spent nearly $1000 on that particular issue, maybe more. Shortly after, I began to get transmission malfunctions, as well as engine malfunctions which placed the car in limp mode. I spent $7000 fixing the transmission problems and just a few months later, I'm having problems again. I've lost $15,000 this year because of the M5 and I'm done.

V10 Engine, Active Seats, Heads-up Display

SMG Transmission

State of the art in performance
By longman40

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Having driven BMW's for 39 years I can attest that this V10 is the state of the art in performance in a thoughtful, safe and understated sports car. It's like will not be seen again. I have had two of these - the E39 and the E60.

Acceleration, in town driving with SMG is on a par with a trip to the track and much misunderstood. Only drive this car in SMG and M Mode.

Larger fuel tank.

Experience with 2006 M5
By rsteele

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

The new BMW M5 has a substantially different character than the previous model: less low rpm torque, but more mid and high range power. Using the SMG transmission well is like learning an action video game or how to tango with a new dance partner. Once you've got the rhythm and the timing, it's a great transmission, but this may take 5,000-10,000 miles. That's why reviewers tend not to like it. Same with iDrive. It's clunky for tuning different radio stations, but very handy otherwise, once you've learned how to use it. Unlike with the Editor's M5 Review, I find the steering to be very good and much better than on my prior model M5. What's not good: fuel economy and driving range.

Power, versatility, seating comfort, head up display, SMG transmission, iDrive, Highway prowess (you can put the car anywhere you want).

Improved SMG (dual clutch design), more refinement and inter-model standardization in iDrive operation. Faster calculation of engine oil level (there's no dipstick). Direct injection for greater engine efficiency. Larger gas tank.

M5 rules
By Mach 5

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I studied and drove everything available in the 50-60K range. This car has everything you need and more power. The performance is outstanding. The exhaust sound has improved with mileage. Now it sounds WONDERFUL!

SMG love hate relationship. Seats. Sound of the exhaust at 40k miles.

Faster computer please. Everything takes too long compared to my A6.

Delayed Review
By vbprof

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have this car for about 4 years now. I am usually not an aggressive driver because I do not want to ruin the car (someone must think I am nuts to buy an M5 and drive like a grandma). I found it very powerful with the full power on. As I bought it in its first generation, I had many problems with oil leak, SMG failing, radio malfunctioning, and dead on the road (due to electronic problem in SMG). Well, after many trips to the dealership, it has been doing well recently. SMG is very sluggish between 1st and 2nd gear (it stinks especially when you are at a stop sign and want to speed up, but the car just gets "lazy"). Love the BMW full maintenance program. Love the iDrive too.

iDrive, 500 HP, comfortable seats

more responsive SMG in lower gears, able to remember driving setting instead of default driving setting, faster blue tooth connection, option for tint windows, traffic info in navigation system