2006 BMW M5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 5.0L V10 7-speed Automated Manual - (30 reviews )
State of the art in performance
By longman40 on 10/27/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Having driven BMW's for 39 years I can attest that this V10 is the state of the art in performance in a thoughtful, safe and understated sports car. It's like will not be seen again. I have had two of these - the E39 and the E60.

Experience with 2006 M5
By rsteele on 08/06/09 10:15 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

The new BMW M5 has a substantially different character than the previous model: less low rpm torque, but more mid and high range power. Using the SMG transmission well is like learning an action video game or how to tango with a new dance partner. Once you've got the rhythm and the timing, it's a great transmission, but this may take 5,000-10,000 miles. That's why reviewers tend not to like it. Same with iDrive. It's clunky for tuning different radio stations, but very handy otherwise, once you've learned how to use it. Unlike with the Editor's M5 Review, I find the steering to be very good and much better than on my prior model M5. What's not good: fuel economy and driving range.

M5 rules
By Mach 5 on 07/14/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I studied and drove everything available in the 50-60K range. This car has everything you need and more power. The performance is outstanding. The exhaust sound has improved with mileage. Now it sounds WONDERFUL!

Delayed Review
By vbprof on 07/13/09 00:48 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have this car for about 4 years now. I am usually not an aggressive driver because I do not want to ruin the car (someone must think I am nuts to buy an M5 and drive like a grandma). I found it very powerful with the full power on. As I bought it in its first generation, I had many problems with oil leak, SMG failing, radio malfunctioning, and dead on the road (due to electronic problem in SMG). Well, after many trips to the dealership, it has been doing well recently. SMG is very sluggish between 1st and 2nd gear (it stinks especially when you are at a stop sign and want to speed up, but the car just gets "lazy"). Love the BMW full maintenance program. Love the iDrive too.

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7A)
By magiver on 05/26/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

A wolf in sheep's clothing. Mild mannered driving around town and then head snapping acceleration and tight cornering is available when needed. The seats are incredibly comfortable for a tall driver. Great handling with the proper amount of feedback. Fit and finish are superb.

M5 rides again
By MacinTosh on 08/01/07 08:43 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have owned a 2000 M5 and 2003 M5 and they were exceptional vehicles. I purchased my 06 M5 and was totally blown away. I even race at the Super Speedway and with 4 people I can hang with the Z06s and other modified models. It is a smooth and refined vehicle.

BMW M5 - World Class Fun
By Jordan Lamm on 05/21/07 20:16 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I have owned 4 BMWs and several other cars. The 2006 M5 is the most fun, practical car on the market. The SMG transmission is a blast - very versatile, fun to shift, useful but not great in auto mode. I get comments all the time about what a great car it is. And I love the iDrive. Yes, I would do some things differently, but overall it is very easy to use. Only complaint about the car is that I would like to see the dashboard more driver oriented like the E39 was.

Such a fun beast to be in
By TK on 05/02/07 07:49 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

Took delivery in Germany (ED program - look into it!) and received it back in the US one month later. What a fabulous car. Whether driving at sane speeds (50-80 mph) or Autobahn speeds (150+ mph) the car is very predictable and gives excellent feedback. Doesn't feel like a 4000+ lb car through the twisties. SMG is a great system, once you get used to it.

Mighty M5
By pgrantsr on 03/23/07 11:43 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

I've only had my M5 for a month but in that time I have come to appreciate the beauty of this car. Sport car performance in a four door sedan. Engine that sings a beautiful song and has performance to match. Handling almost as good as my S2000 but without the harshness. Interior amenities to match any other manufacturer. The only downside is the poor gas mileage, but that is not the reason I bought this car.

Ultimate revving machine
By jas on 09/03/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (5.0L 10cyl 7AM)

This car absolutly owns. You will not find anyone that can put up much a race with you on the streets very often. Yet if you are talking about the comfort levels of this car, you can have 4 people soundly sleeping next to you while reaching 140 mph without feeling anything. However, still will take awhile before I get used to the smg and can fully manipulate this monster to its finest capacity.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.