Used 2003 BMW M5 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Bmw M5 - Consumer Reviews

2003 BMW M5 Sedan

Base 4.9L V8 6-speed Manual - (40 reviews )

"M Series are the real ultimate driving
By Bavarian5

2003 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I had a 2003 BMW 330Ci, and I decide that I wanted more space, but at the same time I wanted more performance, and thatís why I opted for the E39 M5. I wanted the E60 M5, but this one was more on my budget! Was a deal of the century. So far I am really satisfied with the vehicle. The ride is out of this world when in sport mode. It is a real sleeper. It moves like a rocket for a 4 door sedan, despite the car being 7 years old.I had to replace a few things, but most of them were tear and wear. So I am not complaining. I do recommend that before anybody buys one of these to check the clutch, bushing, get the carfax and try to find out the kind of maintenance the car received before you buy it.

Favorite Features

This vehicle is cheap to buy these days, comparing the original price of $69,970, now you can even buy one for low $20,000, or even cheaper, this car has an S62 V8 engine that pushes 400-hp. Overall, I am very happy with my investment, and is extremely excitement every time I get behind the wheel!

Suggested Improvements

Stage 2 clutch, LED angel lights, K&N air intake filters. Headers, and the performance chip if you want little more horses. But the car is a real piece of work and craftsmanship!

If you want only one car...
By Mac Miller

2003 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The M5 concept isn't new to Americans. Stick a big V8 in a mid-sized car and beef up the chassis. Pontiac GTO, Plymouth Road Runner, The Bluesmobile...but the M5 is the full development of the concept. It's fast, roomy, comfortable, fun to drive, gets great gas mileage on the highway (25mpg +/- ), and gets lots of comments from strangers. People know what an M5 is and respect the car for what it is. I stopped at an out-of-town BMW dealer to buy a quart of oil and was asked by them to sell my M5 to them!

Favorite Features

Passing power... you spend very little time in the oncoming lane. Safe and thrilling.

Suggested Improvements

Better radio speakers. They are awful and aftermarket upgrades are $500 and up.

One of the Best Cars Ever Made
By JD

2003 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The E39 M5 gets an automatic entry in the debate for best sedan ever made - if not best vehicle period. The design is timeless. The build-quality is superb. The performance speaks for itself. This is a car that does EVERYTHING right. Press the "Sport" button to invoke mind-bending acceleration and seemingly inexhaustible grip. The braking is par excellence. The frame has a rigidity akin to the Hoover Dam. Response, whether throttle or steering, is instantaneous. Every moment in an M5 can make you aware that this is, truly, a very special machine.

Favorite Features

Everything. Acceleration, handling, braking, response, transmission, color- changing metallic paint, the rims, luxury features out the ying-yang. The E39 M5 represents the best of engineering and design from what is arguably the world's best automaker.

Suggested Improvements

The paint is beautiful but, like most environmentally-friendly mixes, it chips too easily.

E39 M5 The Ultimate Sedan
By Mike

2003 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I owned a 2001 540i Sport 6 Spd and a 2003 M3 when I test drove a 2003 M5. I was instantly hooked. I searched and found one of the last remaining new 03s in CA. I have had the car for 3 yrs and it is the ultimate balance of performance, handling, comfort, reliability, and craftmanship. Furthermore, considering it is a 400 HP, 4000 lb sedan it is remarkably fuel efficient. I have averaged 21.5 MPG over the past 3yrs w/30K miles in mixed Bay Area driving. If you are looking for a remarkable automobile don't hesitate. You can pick up an immaculate and low mileage 2003 M5 for < $50K. This is a no brainer considering this is less than a new 530i or 335i. I have driven both and it is no contest.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, ride quality, craftmanship and the sound and relentless pull of that 5 liter V8. It is a true super car.

Suggested Improvements

none

M5 Satisfaction
By kd

2003 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The E39 version of the M5 handles and performs superbly. Though it is no longer the "king of sedans" when it comes to horsepower (its successor has that title), it is one of the best car designs of all times. Many BMW enthusiast prefer its design (manual 6 speed and exterior styling) to the newer (more potent) M5.