2003 BMW M5 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.9L V8 6-speed Manual - (40 reviews )
"M Series are the real ultimate driving
By Bavarian5 on 11/20/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I had a 2003 BMW 330Ci, and I decide that I wanted more space, but at the same time I wanted more performance, and thatÂ’s why I opted for the E39 M5. I wanted the E60 M5, but this one was more on my budget! Was a deal of the century. So far I am really satisfied with the vehicle. The ride is out of this world when in sport mode. It is a real sleeper. It moves like a rocket for a 4 door sedan, despite the car being 7 years old.I had to replace a few things, but most of them were tear and wear. So I am not complaining. I do recommend that before anybody buys one of these to check the clutch, bushing, get the carfax and try to find out the kind of maintenance the car received before you buy it.

If you want only one car...
By Mac Miller on 10/12/09 18:07 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The M5 concept isn't new to Americans. Stick a big V8 in a mid-sized car and beef up the chassis. Pontiac GTO, Plymouth Road Runner, The Bluesmobile...but the M5 is the full development of the concept. It's fast, roomy, comfortable, fun to drive, gets great gas mileage on the highway (25mpg +/- ), and gets lots of comments from strangers. People know what an M5 is and respect the car for what it is. I stopped at an out-of-town BMW dealer to buy a quart of oil and was asked by them to sell my M5 to them!

One of the Best Cars Ever Made
By JD on 07/01/08 08:59 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The E39 M5 gets an automatic entry in the debate for best sedan ever made - if not best vehicle period. The design is timeless. The build-quality is superb. The performance speaks for itself. This is a car that does EVERYTHING right. Press the "Sport" button to invoke mind-bending acceleration and seemingly inexhaustible grip. The braking is par excellence. The frame has a rigidity akin to the Hoover Dam. Response, whether throttle or steering, is instantaneous. Every moment in an M5 can make you aware that this is, truly, a very special machine.

E39 M5 The Ultimate Sedan
By Mike on 12/28/06 23:25 PM (PST)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I owned a 2001 540i Sport 6 Spd and a 2003 M3 when I test drove a 2003 M5. I was instantly hooked. I searched and found one of the last remaining new 03s in CA. I have had the car for 3 yrs and it is the ultimate balance of performance, handling, comfort, reliability, and craftmanship. Furthermore, considering it is a 400 HP, 4000 lb sedan it is remarkably fuel efficient. I have averaged 21.5 MPG over the past 3yrs w/30K miles in mixed Bay Area driving. If you are looking for a remarkable automobile don't hesitate. You can pick up an immaculate and low mileage 2003 M5 for < $50K. This is a no brainer considering this is less than a new 530i or 335i. I have driven both and it is no contest.

M5 Satisfaction
By kd on 07/28/06 16:08 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The E39 version of the M5 handles and performs superbly. Though it is no longer the "king of sedans" when it comes to horsepower (its successor has that title), it is one of the best car designs of all times. Many BMW enthusiast prefer its design (manual 6 speed and exterior styling) to the newer (more potent) M5.

What a car....
By Ard on 02/02/05 13:50 PM (PST)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I'd looked at the M5 in '90, but passed it up in favor of the V8 in the 90 Q45. Well, 13 years later I snapped up the last of the E39 design. It is, in a word, the ultimate 4 door sedan. Styling is georgeous, power is phenomenal, handling is crisp and reassuring. I've still not explored the upper limits of handling, probably cannot really do it on an open road. Perhaps track time this spring? Interior comfort, fit and finish are outstanding- rich but sporty, not 'plush and tufted'. Radio is fantastic- better reception than my two other japanese radios. But who listens to radio? Just installed Sirius Sat Radio with BMW oem components (displays on the nav screen). Mine has the MAudio

BEAST
By hornsch on 12/28/04 10:09 AM (PST)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The best sedan you will ever drive if you are an enthusiast. Automatics do not even come close. I have driven just about every 'sports' sedan including the new Austin and nothing is close.

M5 vs. M3
By 4ociousm5 on 05/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I traded my 2002 M3 conv. for a 2003 M5 and I've never been happier! Why did I do this - I don't like the new "5" styling and I wanted to own one of the last true great BMW's. What a car! I've owned everything from Cobras, Shelby GT 500s, turbo Porsches, Corvettes including the ZR-1 and other fine, go- fast vehicles but quite honestly, this is the best car I've ever owned!

Just What You'd Expect....
By CatchMe on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

From a $75K 4 door luxury performance sedan with a 6 speed manual. Handles like a dream, quiet and solid, sleek and stealthy. The benchmark others strive for.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By dshin on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW M5 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

This is what BMW is all about, and it's the category that no others can compete. If they can only make one car without any business pressure, I think this would be it.