2001 BMW M5 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.9L V8 6-speed Manual - (23 reviews )
love it
By atorreon on 04/01/11 13:27 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

great car!!!! this is the most fun car i've ever owned. no matter how sucky of a day i have going this car always puts a smile on my face. the only thing i dont like about this car is the constant oil burnoff

By Mark J on 05/21/09 07:20 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 2nd M5 - I had owned the e34 chassis and I can see as well as feel certain shared characteristics. The e39 works perfect as I have a family that can all fit, and the trunk is larger than most. This car has exceeded my expectations in every way...quality, performance, did I say performance. Car is well suited for my 21 mile rt work commute…or 500 rt trips up north to the white mts where you see this car shine. The engine is very powerful, yet flexible and practical..3 or 4th gear pulls from 30 mph is no problem with that massive torque behind you. I am very lucky to have this car. And 23mpg (hwy) is not too shabby for 400bhp 4000lb vehicle.

The One
By Neo on 10/14/08 20:02 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

It's a solid, bullet proof, fun, comfortable, stable, hungry, explosive. The E39 is the best M5 ever made - and that's from seasoned BMW owners. This car holds its value because it is a value. I test drove an 00 M5 w/120,000 miles on i and totally ragged. It was still selling for 18k. This is an awesome car that still bring smiles to my grill. It's destined to be a classic on par with the e28 M5. I still drool when driven properly (100+ mph)

BMW E39 M5 2001
By MPower on 10/18/07 06:54 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned the car for nearly 2 years now and can only praise the car as it is a joy to drive and puts a smile on my face all the time. The brakes on the M5 are the only bad point I can make about the car and I have upgraded mine to a set of AP 6 Pots which has done the job and I will feel very happy with taking the car to the ring. The M5 is a good buy with prices for big motorway mile cars as low as 11k up to £25k for mint low mileage 03 plates. Remember these cars back in 99 were £60k with no spec so a lot of them are speced up to £70k so look what you get for your money. BMW E39 M5 Register

Awesome
By MALEXCAB on 04/25/07 04:57 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

M5 is an amazing car to drive. I always wanted to have one... now I'm driving it. Great handling, very comfortable, and not too "show off" unlike other sportcars. Wanted to get a 911 but the M5 is an all around vehicle that can accommodate the whole family. Cupholders are terrrible but I should not be drinking in the car anyways. I find myself turning off the radio and just listening to the exhaust. What a wonderful beast!!!

Ah-mazing!
By MALEXGCAB on 04/12/07 04:29 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

2001 LeMans Blue with Dinan exhaust. This car is amazing with capabilities to accelerate like a Corvette. I smile from ear to ear everytime I drive it with light traffic. Have to be careful since it can reach 80 mph with little effort. Truly my dream car.

Black Thunder
By JJSides on 03/12/07 13:49 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

This is the best vehicle I have driven or owned. It does it all well, and is a pleasure to drive. The engine is responsive, the gears intuitive, the controls easy to use, and the displays easy to understand.

A relative review
By Ludwigmies on 09/01/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

To review a vehicle such as an M5, things must be placed into perspective. It's not just 'performance, fuel economy, fun etc., but what are these things from the perspective of what this car is. The car is a high performance sedan designed and implemented to the highest standard. This vehicle must be rated high in all categories. I get 17+ mpg in town unless I'm in one of those moods and when I am in one of those moods the sheer thrill overrides all. I don't care about cup holders. If you like to drive high performance teutonic understatement this is it.

Best Hidden Beast Around
By Kgraves on 04/09/06 18:53 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

The car is a soft spoken beast. You can cruise in 5th/6th gear at 40mph and have no problem or you can take it to 100mph in 4th gear with ease. It is like driving a Viper with 4 drs, lots of room & a real trunk. You seldom see M5s on the road although you see lots of 5 series cars. It gets looks & comments yet looks so normal and functions like a normal sedan. Great pricing on them now too. Get a used M5 for what a G35 costs new and you don't see yourself all up & down the road. When new it was the fastest 4 door car on the planet & will be the 2nd or 3rd fastest for a long time to come. The stock sound system is just awesome.

My 01 M5 - The LeMans Blue Beast.
By DWSMITH on 03/12/05 08:44 AM (PST)

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

By far, the best 4 seat, 400 hp car in the world. It is a beast in oxford clothes. Never a squeak inside. The clutch allows me to drive in very slow traffic with minimal effort and the torque allows me to just smoke the tires when I feel like it. As far as handling, I've never had one moment where I felt like I was going to lose control. Amazing car.