Used 2001 BMW M5 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Bmw M5 - Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW M5 Sedan

Base 4.9L V8 6-speed Manual - (23 reviews )

love it
By atorreon

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

great car!!!! this is the most fun car i've ever owned. no matter how sucky of a day i have going this car always puts a smile on my face. the only thing i dont like about this car is the constant oil burnoff

Favorite Features

pure power on command!

Suggested Improvements

crappy finishing pieces like the cup holders

By Mark J

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 2nd M5 - I had owned the e34 chassis and I can see as well as feel certain shared characteristics. The e39 works perfect as I have a family that can all fit, and the trunk is larger than most. This car has exceeded my expectations in every way...quality, performance, did I say performance. Car is well suited for my 21 mile rt work commute…or 500 rt trips up north to the white mts where you see this car shine. The engine is very powerful, yet flexible and practical..3 or 4th gear pulls from 30 mph is no problem with that massive torque behind you. I am very lucky to have this car. And 23mpg (hwy) is not too shabby for 400bhp 4000lb vehicle.

Favorite Features

interior room, trunk, engine, over all performance, practicality, sound system

Suggested Improvements

have to get back to you on this one

The One
By Neo

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

It's a solid, bullet proof, fun, comfortable, stable, hungry, explosive. The E39 is the best M5 ever made - and that's from seasoned BMW owners. This car holds its value because it is a value. I test drove an 00 M5 w/120,000 miles on i and totally ragged. It was still selling for 18k. This is an awesome car that still bring smiles to my grill. It's destined to be a classic on par with the e28 M5. I still drool when driven properly (100+ mph)

Favorite Features

120+ Mph

BMW E39 M5 2001
By MPower

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned the car for nearly 2 years now and can only praise the car as it is a joy to drive and puts a smile on my face all the time. The brakes on the M5 are the only bad point I can make about the car and I have upgraded mine to a set of AP 6 Pots which has done the job and I will feel very happy with taking the car to the ring. The M5 is a good buy with prices for big motorway mile cars as low as 11k up to £25k for mint low mileage 03 plates. Remember these cars back in 99 were £60k with no spec so a lot of them are speced up to £70k so look what you get for your money. BMW E39 M5 Register

Favorite Features

Favorite feature on my M5 has to be the double glazing as it makes it so quiet.

Suggested Improvements

The front brakes.

Awesome
By MALEXCAB

2001 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.9L 8cyl 6M)

M5 is an amazing car to drive. I always wanted to have one... now I'm driving it. Great handling, very comfortable, and not too "show off" unlike other sportcars. Wanted to get a 911 but the M5 is an all around vehicle that can accommodate the whole family. Cupholders are terrrible but I should not be drinking in the car anyways. I find myself turning off the radio and just listening to the exhaust. What a wonderful beast!!!

Favorite Features

DSC and exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Wiper blades shouldn't be a dealer item only.