Used 2011 BMW M3 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW M3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 6-speed Manual - (4 reviews )

Fast, Practical, But Not Perfect
By DEEM

2011 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

The engine sounds beautiful and I love the high revs. Grip is outstanding with the 19" wheels. Four door practicality is a huge plus as the Cayman was claustrophobic. The stereo is great and the build quality is very high - you pay more than an STi or Evo, but this is a car you'd proudly give the boss a ride in. Xenon lights are terrific and all 3-series should have them standard. The manual gearbox is a bit notchy in 1st and 2nd. The throws are quite long for a sports car, but clutch travel is perfect and soft. These cars should also come with BMW Assist standard in case of a flat tire - No Spare is a huge issue. I had issues with the Tire Pressure Monitor when I took delivery.

Engine, Stereo, Xenon, 4-Doors, Subtle looks - not as flashy as Porsche.

Tire Pressure Monitor on Porsche lists pressure for all four wheels - should do the same here. Spare tire is important for long trips. Sunroof should be standard on these models. Gearbox could be hugely improved (smoother shift action)like the current Porsche models and the Getrag in the new Mustang

Reliability Issues, disappointed
By Disappointed

2011 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for about 4 months. I was extremely excited about he purchase and initially loved the car. I drove as prescribed during the break-in period and never drove it like a M3 should be. After the break-in period, I only put 300 miles on the car (for a total of 1500 miles) before the car started exhibiting problems. The most recent of which occurred this week with loss of power, slow acceleration, etc. Feels like I am driving a Camry. Took it in for service and they cant seem to be able to find the issue. If they cant resolve the issues, I think I may have bought a lemon. Extremely disappointed in BMW and the car at the moment.

Right now none. Just disappointed in the car

Obviously its reliability issues

Powerful, great on the eyes, gulps gas
By BTN

2011 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Ive had my M3 for a little over a month now--only put on about 500 miles so far, but its a BLAST to drive. With the 414HP, V8 by far the most powerful car I've ever driven/owned--esp coming from my 2007 IS 250. :) 14 mpg in the city no matter how easy you are on the pedals is a bit annoying, but you have to take good with the bad--kind of a "rare" car depending on where you live. I'm in Houston and Ive seen 2 other coupes, and NO sedans so far, so its nice to stand out a bit. :) Had my M3 "stripped"--i.e. speed cloth, 6MT, no navigation, no EDC, but I don't miss a thing. Love every second in this car--hopefully it holds up after warranty!

Exterior design, "power dome" hood is just sexy as hell. Shifter is a bit "rubbery" and not as smooth as other cars, but still a blast to drive. The power you get once you start pushing the car a bit is intoxicating--cant wait for break in period to expire.

1st to 2nd gear is REALLY notchy, dont think there's any fix for that and overall wish the shifting was a bit more smooth. Also wish there was more low end torque--sometimes get beat off the line by a civic, but honestly I don't care. Make it more fuel efficient! 14 mpg city? C'mon BMW

Best toy I've ever owned
By John G

2011 BMW M3 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Just picked up a mostly base M3 last week. Manual transmission, leather/cloth interior, no Nav, no tech package. I had an Audi S4 on order, and the BMW people basically sold me on the M3. I was hesitant, but after 350 miles, I am SO glad I went M3. The engine is absolutely silly. It just wants to go. And the rest of the car feels like it's carved out of a block of aluminum, just so solid. I'm still in break in period, but even adhering to the rules, this thing is amazing.

Engine, just amazing. Not too much below 3000 RPM, but I'm never there anyway. Of course the handling is basically perfect too, flat, neutral, confidence-inspiring. It's an M3!

I wouldn't complain about better fuel economy, but that's not exactly why I bought the car.