Used 2011 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

Bad to the Bone
By imforgvn

2011 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I've had my 2011 M3 for about 6 months. It is actually a dual clutch 7 speed. It's fast. It's sexy. It handles like its on rails. A real fun car to drive. Gets a lot of attention. Blast it straight or bend it around a country road and you just won't want to put it away. I'm a big fan of late 60s muscle cars and this reminds me a lot of the Chevelle with its deep exhaust note and off the line g force. Biggest difference is that it will handle the road like nothing else. The stereo is absolutely tight, even at ear splitting volume. I've never felt so safe or confident in a car like I do in the M. A touch of the wheel and it goes where you want. Brakes are HUGE and smooth. I am a lucky man!

Quickness. Handling. Looks. Did I mention how sexy/beautiful this car is?

I'd like a temporary (like 10 seconds) kill switch for the ABS/Anti-Skid so I can burn some rubber without having to program the M drive. I don't like the "active" headrest. I like having my head against the headrest when I'm punching through the gears. The first few times I slammed my head against it because I wasn't prepared for the g forces. Other than that, I'd love to meet the design team.

Fast, Practical, But Not Perfect
By DEEM

2011 BMW M3 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

The engine sounds beautiful and I love the high revs. Grip is outstanding with the 19" wheels. Four door practicality is a huge plus as the Cayman was claustrophobic. The stereo is great and the build quality is very high - you pay more than an STi or Evo, but this is a car you'd proudly give the boss a ride in. Xenon lights are terrific and all 3-series should have them standard. The manual gearbox is a bit notchy in 1st and 2nd. The throws are quite long for a sports car, but clutch travel is perfect and soft. These cars should also come with BMW Assist standard in case of a flat tire - No Spare is a huge issue. I had issues with the Tire Pressure Monitor when I took delivery.

Engine, Stereo, Xenon, 4-Doors, Subtle looks - not as flashy as Porsche.

Tire Pressure Monitor on Porsche lists pressure for all four wheels - should do the same here. Spare tire is important for long trips. Sunroof should be standard on these models. Gearbox could be hugely improved (smoother shift action)like the current Porsche models and the Getrag in the new Mustang

Reliability Issues, disappointed
By Disappointed

2011 BMW M3 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned this car for about 4 months. I was extremely excited about he purchase and initially loved the car. I drove as prescribed during the break-in period and never drove it like a M3 should be. After the break-in period, I only put 300 miles on the car (for a total of 1500 miles) before the car started exhibiting problems. The most recent of which occurred this week with loss of power, slow acceleration, etc. Feels like I am driving a Camry. Took it in for service and they cant seem to be able to find the issue. If they cant resolve the issues, I think I may have bought a lemon. Extremely disappointed in BMW and the car at the moment.

Right now none. Just disappointed in the car

Obviously its reliability issues

2011 BMW M3 Coupe Review
By NC Car Guy

2011 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I recently bought this 2011 Ultimate Driving Machine. Two exotic cars in one fine package. I had a 2007 Porsche. The M3 Coupe has the Porsche inspired performance, but 4 people ride in the M3 (if allowed by owner). The rear seats fold down, it stores plenty of luggage, groceries, etc. Front-to- Rear weight ratio is 50%-50%. Options: 7 speed dual clutch system / F1 paddle shift or automatic drive logic programs, Competition Package, rear power sunshade. Drive it to work, around town, it is a dream. When track Club clinic days arrive, growl around everything in turns...It has more grip and agility than cars twice the price. 2011 is the Final year for the M3 V-8 forever. Don't wait, seriously.

Exterior and interior design, ergonomic layout, comfort. Competition pkg, Dual clutch 7 speed transmission, the 414 HP V-8 that growls like a beast. The audio system, rear power sunshade, driver selectable feature programing key preferences, the 19" wheels, fold down rear seats, build quality 10+

For 2011, nothing. HQ got it right and listened to customers. They improved the right things, not just upgraded plastic parts. BMW didn't convert a modest production car into an M3 like Cadillac did with the CTS-V. Cadillac forgot a rear differential cooler & locking fuel door too. M3 for me. No GM.

Fun when you need it
By kis

2011 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned many great cars in the last 25 years including Porsches, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, and Lexus'. Without a doubt the 2011 M3 is one of my best purchases because it combines fun with comfort and (hopefully) reliability. The dual clutch is amazing and the engine strikes just the right note when you put your foot in it. Handling is superior and the brakes have been great for street use. I have also enjoyed the navigation, Sirius radio, and bluetooth features on my vehicle. To date (albeit brief) this car has been a pleasure. I decided on the M3 over the C63 because while the Merc is more entertaining on the street (great torque), the bimmer is the better balanced auto.

Dual Clutch Engine Electronics Comfortable Seats Great Driving Position