Beautiful, but disappointing performance
By dasbmr on
2009 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)
I have had several "M's", including 2 E46 BMR's. The 2009 is a nicely sculpted vehicle as it sits curbside, although some have described it as looking like a Pontiac. It's very comfortable and it handles great. The 414 hp seems unbelievable to me because the (295 ft lb.)torque rating is so low in comparison. I have owned an '03 CLK55 AMG, which had less HP, but far more torque. The M3 just doesn't have the power that I like "off the line." Sure, it will do 150 mph, but where can you realistically do that kind of speed? For excitement on the road, I think the Benz equivalents are far better.
Favorite Features
Handling and dash layout. Seats.
Suggested Improvements
More torque!
By wangman
on 03/30/13 01:41 AM (PDT)

1997 M3, stick shift, 260hp, fun car but under powered, traded it for 2002 M3, SMG, 333hp, tough transmission, but better car and more power, but not a very good high rev engine, the sound at high RPM was metalic, traded it for a 2009 M3 Coupe, stick shift, 414hp, heavy car, but has a high rev engine that wakes up around 3500RPM and it quickly goes to 8000RPM without a fuss and sound great, but under 3500RPM you are stuck in the mud, but still when you get on the highway, that's when the fun begins.