Used 2009 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

Beautiful, but disappointing performance
By dasbmr

2009 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have had several "M's", including 2 E46 BMR's. The 2009 is a nicely sculpted vehicle as it sits curbside, although some have described it as looking like a Pontiac. It's very comfortable and it handles great. The 414 hp seems unbelievable to me because the (295 ft lb.)torque rating is so low in comparison. I have owned an '03 CLK55 AMG, which had less HP, but far more torque. The M3 just doesn't have the power that I like "off the line." Sure, it will do 150 mph, but where can you realistically do that kind of speed? For excitement on the road, I think the Benz equivalents are far better.

Favorite Features

Handling and dash layout. Seats.

Suggested Improvements

More torque!

Good Step Up for Me
By Nawaaz Ismail

2009 BMW M3 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Overall, I am happy with my decision of choosing the current M3 Sedan. I have had it for a good year now, and I have learned a lot from owning and driving it. Previously, I used to own a '06 Evo IX MR, and I sold it so that I could get into an M3. It's not really a step up in performance for me, but it's a much stronger built car, all the way from its tranny, to how the car feels so planted during higher speeds. I've had the opportunity to take my M3 to the track 5 times so far, and I expect to continue taking part in Driver's Education events every month. The M3 is not the perfect car out there, but it is the perfect car for me at this stage of my life.

Favorite Features

High-revving V8, solid shifting feel, nice-rich feel of the M steering wheel, exhaust note after upgrading with a full exhaust system, cloth/leather seats, freedom to turn traction control off (DSC OFF), aggressive looking 18" wheels/gray finish.

Suggested Improvements

Car needs to be at least 200 lbs lighter, BMW needs to find a solution for the 'tint-scratching' issue which happens primarily in the sedan version. Also, the stock exhaust note is way too quiet. The car needs stronger brakes, especially when one considers going to the track often.

M3 coupe rocks!!
By NAV5

2009 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

This is my first M3, but I've had 2 other BMW's, both 3 series. Had to get a car that my wife would feel comfortable in as well, and not intimidated. With the automatic transmission, and selectable M settings, you can adjust from performance from aggressive to very docile. This is ideal for different driver's styles. Acceleration and handling are top notch. Fit and finish also unquestionable the very best. I wholeheartedly recommend the M3 to anyone that wants a daily driver that can also ROCK when you want too.

Favorite Features

DCT transmission. New nav system and I- drive integration is much easier to use and understand. Design and styling are racy and aggressive!! Carbon fiber roof is very unique and impressive (no up-charge). Inside door rest ambient lighting is amazing!

Suggested Improvements

Not a big fan of the key fob range and accuracy. I have to push the lock/unlock buttons more than once. Better functioning cup holders.

Best every day car possible
By Miguel

2009 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

You yearn to reach 1200 miles so you can have it serviced and get it back in playing form. You look forward to the split second when you think you may have lost control when you throw your foot down. You can enjoy the M-Mode even during the daily commute. At its softest, my wife doesn't mind it.

Favorite Features

M-Mode Sharp sharp SHARP steering, Engine noise

Suggested Improvements

I got a coupe with the Tech package, and it does NOT include bluetooth. I find this embarrassing for BMW.

"Funtastic super car Chameleon!"
By ssv

2009 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Living in S.Florida and having driven my interlagos blue e39 m5 for 7 yrs with awe and no complaints; I decided to add a younger sibling,an interlagos blue m3 convertible! Let me say this emphatically, "The m3 convertible is an absolutely "FUNTASTIC" piece of automotive creation to drive!" For those concerned by the critics comparisons to the m3 coupe, have no worries, the two are just different animals! Here in the m3 convertible you have the ultimate everyday "Chameleon". Top up you basically have the coupe's at 98% equivalence, top down its a head turning topless super car! If you are not a race track junkie and live in warm climes this car cannot be beaten at its price point. Thanks M!!

Favorite Features

1. M power performance. 2. Hard top convertible. 3. Premium option sound system. 4. Interlagos blue color. 5. Looks and design.

Suggested Improvements

1. Weight reduction would improve performance. 2. Two tone seat color option as in the e39 M5.