Used 2009 BMW M3 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW M3 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 6-speed Manual - (6 reviews )

Beautiful, but disappointing performance
By dasbmr

2009 BMW M3 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have had several "M's", including 2 E46 BMR's. The 2009 is a nicely sculpted vehicle as it sits curbside, although some have described it as looking like a Pontiac. It's very comfortable and it handles great. The 414 hp seems unbelievable to me because the (295 ft lb.)torque rating is so low in comparison. I have owned an '03 CLK55 AMG, which had less HP, but far more torque. The M3 just doesn't have the power that I like "off the line." Sure, it will do 150 mph, but where can you realistically do that kind of speed? For excitement on the road, I think the Benz equivalents are far better.

Handling and dash layout. Seats.

More torque!

"Funtastic super car Chameleon!"
By ssv

2009 BMW M3 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Living in S.Florida and having driven my interlagos blue e39 m5 for 7 yrs with awe and no complaints; I decided to add a younger sibling,an interlagos blue m3 convertible! Let me say this emphatically, "The m3 convertible is an absolutely "FUNTASTIC" piece of automotive creation to drive!" For those concerned by the critics comparisons to the m3 coupe, have no worries, the two are just different animals! Here in the m3 convertible you have the ultimate everyday "Chameleon". Top up you basically have the coupe's at 98% equivalence, top down its a head turning topless super car! If you are not a race track junkie and live in warm climes this car cannot be beaten at its price point. Thanks M!!

1. M power performance. 2. Hard top convertible. 3. Premium option sound system. 4. Interlagos blue color. 5. Looks and design.

1. Weight reduction would improve performance. 2. Two tone seat color option as in the e39 M5.

This car has it all
By Scott

2009 BMW M3 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Still driving it in, but even under 5500 rpm this car cannot be contained. It has tech, premium, DCT, prem sound packages & the 19" rims. The iDrive is fine - I suggest you try it before listening to the complainers. Sound system is divine, DCT is incredibly smooth, especially for everyday driving. Top down the engine tone gives you goosebumps. I have black on black - it's like driving the batmobile! Top down road/wind noise is OK even at 100 mph. Combination of luxury, convertible & formula one performance can not be beat. It feels like having a new girlfriend...

All the high tech stuff is great ... not much can match the pure pleasure of pushing your right foot down, being pressed back in your seat and hearing the ferocious animal growl of this engine.

Replaced my M3 with an M3!
By SilvertM3

2009 BMW M3 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I was driving my Silver 2004 M3 Convertible when I went in to browse... Sure. There it was. A Silver 2009 M3 Convertible! Driving this car is a dream! I'm 6'4" and 285 and I have plenty of room. The Double Clutch Transmission shifts faster than you can blink. The M-Drive allows you to customize your acceleration, suspension and shifting from soft and comfy, to mothers take your kids off the streets! One push and all settings are yours. The V8 roars and the exhaust growls. The rear seat is bigger too. Not much trunk space with top down, but whole back seat folds and there is plenty space there. The down side? No cars to step up to now! Porsche you say? Yah... if I were 5'7". This is tops!

V-8, DCT Trans, M Drive, 19" wheels, & Novillo leather, all in a real performance 4-seat sporty convertible. The much maligned I-Drive is even better and so easy now. Like I said, this is heaven on earth, if you like top performance. If you want comfort, you can dial that in also. The ultimate M!

More trunk, glove compartment, & door side pocket space. (Had to put the manual in the trunk, as it didn't fit anywhere else). Improve cup holders, even though one should not be drinking anything while having this much fun! Make available, a small lip spoiler like the M3 coupe and sedan have.

Too early to tell
By Mark

2009 BMW M3 Convertible 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Presently have only 1400 miles. Haven't been too aggressive yet in the car. The engine sounds fantastic, but the car is definitely not a rocketship. The car turns a lot of heads, but it isn't real comfortable to drive. Hoping to take it out onto the local track to see how she handles under pressure. Except for the power mode setting, can barely feel a difference between any of the other M settings. Hopefully a little more time behind the wheel will help with the learning curve. We've had a number of other Beemer's - I'm still more comfortable driving the X5 or 550i.

Holds its line well, very nicely balanced, sounds great. Like the retractable hardtop.

Much stronger than my old 330xi, but still want more horses.