2009 BMW M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:
Beautiful, but disappointing performance
By dasbmr on 12/10/11 18:49 PM (PST)

2009 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have had several "M's", including 2 E46 BMR's. The 2009 is a nicely sculpted vehicle as it sits curbside, although some have described it as looking like a Pontiac. It's very comfortable and it handles great. The 414 hp seems unbelievable to me because the (295 ft lb.)torque rating is so low in comparison. I have owned an '03 CLK55 AMG, which had less HP, but far more torque. The M3 just doesn't have the power that I like "off the line." Sure, it will do 150 mph, but where can you realistically do that kind of speed? For excitement on the road, I think the Benz equivalents are far better.

Good Step Up for Me
By Nawaaz Ismail on 08/08/10 13:08 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW M3 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Overall, I am happy with my decision of choosing the current M3 Sedan. I have had it for a good year now, and I have learned a lot from owning and driving it. Previously, I used to own a '06 Evo IX MR, and I sold it so that I could get into an M3. It's not really a step up in performance for me, but it's a much stronger built car, all the way from its tranny, to how the car feels so planted during higher speeds. I've had the opportunity to take my M3 to the track 5 times so far, and I expect to continue taking part in Driver's Education events every month. The M3 is not the perfect car out there, but it is the perfect car for me at this stage of my life.

M3 coupe rocks!!
By NAV5 on 12/21/09 15:32 PM (PST)

2009 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

This is my first M3, but I've had 2 other BMW's, both 3 series. Had to get a car that my wife would feel comfortable in as well, and not intimidated. With the automatic transmission, and selectable M settings, you can adjust from performance from aggressive to very docile. This is ideal for different driver's styles. Acceleration and handling are top notch. Fit and finish also unquestionable the very best. I wholeheartedly recommend the M3 to anyone that wants a daily driver that can also ROCK when you want too.

Best every day car possible
By Miguel on 10/27/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

You yearn to reach 1200 miles so you can have it serviced and get it back in playing form. You look forward to the split second when you think you may have lost control when you throw your foot down. You can enjoy the M-Mode even during the daily commute. At its softest, my wife doesn't mind it.

"Funtastic super car Chameleon!"
By ssv on 10/10/09 09:37 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Living in S.Florida and having driven my interlagos blue e39 m5 for 7 yrs with awe and no complaints; I decided to add a younger sibling,an interlagos blue m3 convertible! Let me say this emphatically, "The m3 convertible is an absolutely "FUNTASTIC" piece of automotive creation to drive!" For those concerned by the critics comparisons to the m3 coupe, have no worries, the two are just different animals! Here in the m3 convertible you have the ultimate everyday "Chameleon". Top up you basically have the coupe's at 98% equivalence, top down its a head turning topless super car! If you are not a race track junkie and live in warm climes this car cannot be beaten at its price point. Thanks M!!

None Better
By DRR on 09/17/09 17:02 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I have owned Mercedes, Porsche and several BMW's. I traded a 2006 M5 for the 2009 M3. Porsche is a pure sports car but the sports suspension is rough for daily use. The M5 was a Porsche with a Tuxedo. Not much to complain about except the SMG is no match for the DCT in the M3. The M3 is a sports car that you can live with every day. You feel like you are part of the car - it is balanced, agile, and responsive. The DCT is fast and the downshift throttle blips are better matched than I could ever do with a traditional manual. This is my third car with idrive and the new idrive is great - intuitive and easy to use.

This car is a BEAST!!!
By M3 Fanatic on 07/19/09 22:05 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW M3 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I had an '02 E46 M3 before getting my new '09 E90 M3. These cars are quite different in their personality, but both are great. The E46 actually feels more like a sports car while the E90 feels more like a grand touring car. The power from the E90's V8 is amazing and almost effortless. I ordered the M-DCT transmission and am absolutely amazed. The shifts are super quick and super smooth. It feels like the shifts from BMW's auto transmissions. While I tend to be a sporty driver, I have to admit the M- DCT tranny is so good, I often leave it in full auto mode. All in all, I love it!

Outstanding Performance Sedan
By RKerns on 06/10/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW M3 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

The M3 sedan is an excellent all around performance car. I traded in an RS4 for this car and have no regrets at all. For me the M3 handles so much better than the RS4. It also delivers power better, sounds better, shifts better and scrubs off speed better. It corners like a car weighing 600 pounds less. The exhaust note sounds fantastic, like a proper V8. The steering can feel a bit numb but once you attack a corner it comes alive and you know exactly what the front tires are doing (unlike the RS4). The car is a real hooligan and blast to drive. Poised and well balanced, I think you would be hard pressed to find a sedan with the same attributes for the money.

This car has it all
By Scott on 04/10/09 03:12 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Still driving it in, but even under 5500 rpm this car cannot be contained. It has tech, premium, DCT, prem sound packages & the 19" rims. The iDrive is fine - I suggest you try it before listening to the complainers. Sound system is divine, DCT is incredibly smooth, especially for everyday driving. Top down the engine tone gives you goosebumps. I have black on black - it's like driving the batmobile! Top down road/wind noise is OK even at 100 mph. Combination of luxury, convertible & formula one performance can not be beat. It feels like having a new girlfriend...

Replaced my M3 with an M3!
By SilvertM3 on 04/04/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I was driving my Silver 2004 M3 Convertible when I went in to browse... Sure. There it was. A Silver 2009 M3 Convertible! Driving this car is a dream! I'm 6'4" and 285 and I have plenty of room. The Double Clutch Transmission shifts faster than you can blink. The M-Drive allows you to customize your acceleration, suspension and shifting from soft and comfy, to mothers take your kids off the streets! One push and all settings are yours. The V8 roars and the exhaust growls. The rear seat is bigger too. Not much trunk space with top down, but whole back seat folds and there is plenty space there. The down side? No cars to step up to now! Porsche you say? Yah... if I were 5'7". This is tops!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.