Used 2008 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

Does it all. Don't leave your gas card at home.
By indydave62

2008 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased a 2008 BMW M3 Convertible with the DCT transmission two weeks ago. It has all options except extended leather and parking sensors. This car is amazing. It's ridiculously powerful and fast. If you feel like being an F1 Driver, you can shift with the paddles, if you're feeling lazy (or commuting), you can just put it in "D" mode, and let the DCT do the work for you. With the convertible hardtop, the car is quiet and rattle-free. The stereo is excellent, and the seats are very adjustable, supportive and comfortable.

-DCT transmission -Build quality -Engine sound and power -Seats -Exterior styling -Sound system -You don't see one on every corner

-Gas mileage should be much better. Corvettes and Mustangs with similar power and weight get far better mileage. -Too easy to hit the windshield washers when trying to use the right shift paddle -NAV system is OK, but doesn't work as well as a portable unit. - iDrive takes a while to learn. -Ride quality with the 19" wheels is a little harsh on rough roads.

Not worth it
By lindsayg

2008 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I always considered a convertible M3 as my dream car and in 2008 I went out and bought one- brand new. It was gorgeous and "impressive" but totally and absolutely not worth the sticker price. It had so many stupid quirks that I rarely drove it, preferring my Volvo station wagon (!). I will never again buy a BMW and I pity the poor guy who got mine when I dumped it after 2 years and only 15,000 miles. I'm glad I got the BMW bug out of my system, but it cost a lot to be cured!

Styling, inside and out. Face it, it is a sexy car. The leather feels like a designer purse and the outside is just beautiful- top up or down. I DID like the hardtop convertible and the motors never failed. The trunk space with the top up was surprisingly large and even pretty decent with the top down. I liked all the ways you could customize your settings (once you got your BMW PhD and figured them out). Frankly, I just liked looking at it.

Where do I begin...? The radio stank, my Volvo's was so much better. The GPS was abomidably bad, even with the "upgrades". The dashboard computer didn't usually agree with the GPS screen's computer regarding oil level, which led to multiple trips to the dealership and wasted time. The pairing with a phone (bluetooth) or an iPod (aux) were awful and often locked up my Blackberry and my iPod. My computer would randomly lock up as well, which the dealer blamed on my infrequent use of the car. I bought an expensive battery-charge-keeper unit and there was NO improvement. They should have spent more time in R&D on their computer systems in a car that costs this much or not offered it.

Underpowered
By douglas stewart

2008 BMW M3 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Dependable and comfortable. Fun to drive. Brakes great, handles well. But, built to keep you out of trouble. Underpowered as can be for the real enthusiast your better off building an American v8 in a muscle car. These are tame in comparison. IMO BMW built these for folks that really don't know what real power is. They are very tame. Stomp the gas and wait. Ya for yuppies it may be a little impressive but for real men its a disappointment on a high level. Forgettable power, lame. I will not buy another 1 unless they trust me not to crash it, they don't. Needs much more torque and or turbocharging.

beautiful interior , brakes and handling . Very comfortable.

TURBO . Trust us BMW . We will try to stay out of trouble . If not , your gonna lose to the new breed of go fast American cars .

Awesome-But not amazing
By Josh7881

2008 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

Having had an 03, 04, 05 M3 and recently the 08, I have been thrilled.The new body is great...just lacks the "stance" of a performance car. Materials are great, build quality is amazing. The interior is a little stale, even with the nav and extended leather. The car doesn't seem to have a "cockpit." The sport seats are comfortable, but not sporty feeling at all. Also-BMW PLEASE MOVE WINDOW SWITCHES BACK TO CENTER!!! No major problems...OH WAIT! They have depreciated so much it is ridiculous. I just got $44,900 for mine. (That was the highest of 8 dealers) I paid $69,900 fully loaded from the factory. Only had 12K miles, no scratches, etc. WORD OF ADVICE-DO NOT BUY NEW!!!!!! Buy slightly used.

Ride quality, response, materials, ENHANCED AUDIO SYSTEM.

Seats not sporty, lack of "M stance"....new M3 could pass as a 335 sedan or coupe, bland styling, lack of colors. Move window switches back to center console, OVERPRICED!

M3 Perfection
By MMMMMMMM3

2008 BMW M3 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 6M)

I've always been a Porsche guy & even tried an 08 Vette for a while but a baby meant I needed a 4 door or I was sentenced to driving the wife's car all the time. I looked at the IS-F, E55, & C63 before buying the E90 M3. One drive and you'll understand. The feel, sounds, handling etc are all unbelievable. When you are done driving like you stole it, it is a very civilized cruising car for the whole family. None of the competitors come close. I honestly didn't think I'd like the M3 from reading about it as I thought it wouldn't have the torque to make me happy. I couldn't stop grinning on the test drive. Drive one and you will understand. The M3 is the best all around car on the market.

Performance, handling, perfect suspension tuning, V8 music

6sp shifter could be better. I'd like a slightly more aggressive gear ratio but Dinan's 4.10 can fix that. Free tires for life :)?