Feels like an old friend...
By David on
2006 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)
Wanted one before production was finally discontinued on the E46 with the straight-6 engine. Everything, from the interior ergnomics to the performance (power & handling) fit me like a well tailored suit. I'm a fairly athletic guy and I swear this car feels like an extension of my own arms, legs and rest of my body. Although higher horsepower, and more comfortable seats, my 02 M5 doesn't even compare. The Competition Package came with a much higher steering ratio that requires a tighter grip on the thicker alcantara wrapped wheel, but remains extremely firm and direct and very high speeds. This car does require some concentration and skill to truly drive well.
Favorite Features
Awesome engine, rigid chassis, razor sharp handling with no body roll, firm supportive & multi-adjustable seats, classic BMW ergonomics, everyday driveability + love the color (interlagos blue) and wheels both unique to the ZCP (Competition Package). Relatively covert for such a high perf car.
Suggested Improvements
Although I never had a problem in my 02 M5, I always worry about a flat (for those that don't know, Ms have NO spare tire, only an air compressor and can of tire stop-leak in the trunk) Also, I could stand to lose the Alcantara wrapped steering wheel and get back my cruise control (w/ZCP)