Used 2005 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

Exceeded high expectations
By Ryan

2005 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is was my dream car in every respect - looks, performance, etc. I had high expectations when I bought it, but after 4k miles, let me tell you that this car is a dream. When you turn off the DSC, turn on launch mode, turn on sport mode, set SMG shifting to S6, hold on! Wow! If a car could ever be too much fun this is it - it definitely takes a huge amount of self discipline to keep this thing legal.

The sound of the exhaust, the SMG, the styling.

I had to take it in right after I bought it to replace one of the window motors that wasn't working when I put the top up with the key lock. One of those classic BMW electronic gizmo failures.

Highly recommend
By Jazzman

2005 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

If you looking for a high performance, drop top, with utility, luxury and 4 seats this is the car. Its drinks gas of course but its a high performance sports car what do you expect. You feel the bumps around town but its tuned to corner like a demon and it delivers. The fit and finish are suberb not one flaw could I find. Its fasts, loves to rev and corners like its on rails. The top is a masterpiece. One button and its up or down in 22 seconds. The top neatly stores in a hard cover area behind the seats. Make sure you also get the wind screen. Its an accessory the dealer can order for you but its something you want on those chilly nights. It cuts about 80 percent of the wind.

The engine! If Mazda is zoom zoom zoom thenm the M3 is REV REV REV! The tuning on the suspension and the smiles this car puts on my face. The top, quality finish of both the interior and exterior. It's a refined car that can be driven in the city like a child or a brute on the open highway!

Sound system is okay but nothing amazing. BMW needs to have a changer in the dash instead of just a one CD piece. The only way you can get a changer is to add it in your glove compartment, or should I say lose your glove compartment to the changer. MPG stinks but that comes with 333 HP in a six cylinder.

Another Winner
By Mike

2005 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 7th BMW, and by far the best overall. The M3 has it all -- looks, handling, acceleration, and a connection with the driver that no other car in its price range can match. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants it all.

Great car. Best buy in 50k range
By Zak

2005 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a daily driver for me. every day I look foward to driving it. People complain that powerseats are an option, however, I think that it is an effective way to save money because im the only driver and it never needs to move.

I love the handling.

Bigger back seat. when I drive, there is about 2 inches of legroom behind me. plenty of room in the front though.

I love it ...BUT...
By red

2005 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Looks great drives like a dream. BUT I've had too many "quality" issues. The first was stalling when it had less than 500 miles. Turned out to be a computer fault. Next the rear lights started getting water inside after a rain - dealer had the car for three days to replace rear light components. NEXT - the passenger side door handle came off completly - the dealer said it's because its hand assembled! - What a joke. Just this week it started stalling again at idle. I had some reservations buying the car when I looked at the JDP reliability survey and now I think I'll keep it about a year and then get a Corvette.

Looks, engine, handling

For the dollars I expected much better workmanship/quality - BMW also needs more responsive dealers/National office people. When a customer has a complaint it should be acted upon not disappear into a void. My calls to BMW National were apparantly never documented.