Used 2005 BMW M3 Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 BMW M3 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (32 reviews )

The thrill of a Bimmer
By JZ

2005 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I am a person who believes a car no matter what make or model is meant to be driven not showcased. So I'll give you the driver's point of view. The car is a pleasure to drive. It is fast, it is smooth, and it can handle with the best of them. It's a mean looking car with a mean spirited personality. The tunnel vision you get at the higher RPMs is an amazing feeling. The security in the drive while pushing your car is unprecedented. Knowing a car can handle the high RPMs and the ability to stick to the road can make anyone feel like they are professional drivers. I own a manual, and Sports mode feels like you're driving a new ridiculously faster car. What a car to suit any occasion.

Sports mode. Comfortable seats. Smooth transmision. High engagement point on the clutch. Mean looking. Secure feel of the drive. Light up stick. Light up RPM warning. Sound of the engine. Comfort of the drive. And especially always more power to keep it going at any speed.

Seat belt placement. Range of the key. It would be nice to close all windows and sunroof with the key, if they can open then they should be able to close. A spare would be nice, just in case. Fully movable headlight system, I feel is important especially for high speeds. AWD would be interesting.

BMW M3 Black/Cinnammon SMG
By rkb

2005 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Excellent car overall. Fun to drive. Powerful engine. Excellent handling for a sedan. Love the SMG.

SMG. Exterior styling. Interior quality is excellent too.

AWD would be a great feature for this car. DSC is too intrusive. Wish I can turn it off completely at times. I hate the front grilles. They don't flow well with the look of the car. The Harmon-Kardon stereo is terrible, the speakers rattle and sound terrible. Poor throttle response off the line.

Unbelievable
By Mladenovic

2005 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I got an M3 a little over a year ago & loved every minute of it. Recently, I traded it for one of the new E60 M5s. I thought I made a great deal. but I immediately knew I made a horrendous mistake after driving off the lot. The M5 is quick, but is nowhere near as fun or involving as the M3. It felt like what it is: a big, oafy family sedan with a powerful engine. I never thought I would be so disappointed. After 2 days of owning it, I returned it back to the dealership, took a hit & got my M3 back. Now I could not be happier. I'm just more comfortable with these smaller, quicker coupes. Only a new 911 Turbo could replace it (in my opinion).

Sexy design (very classic), stiff ride that lets you know how in-tune the handling is; LOUD when you redline the engine; interior is simple, yet effective (not like the hellish iDrive system of new BMWs).

This is a 6 year old design that is pretty outdated as far as speed and performance goes. That is to be expected, but it my only complaint. It can easily be remedied with an AA supercharger, which should hold you over until the next monster purchase.

Still the Best
By R T Cooper

2005 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Due to a lengthy involvement in "gentleman's " racing of sports cars, I am often enlisted by friends and acquaintances to find or evaluate the proper car for them, or for a family member. BMW has remained on the primary list of possibilities for some forty, consecutive years. My personal favorite (amongst worthy competition) for an enthusiast's road car is the BMW M3. Since its inception, following on the heels of the mighty CSL race champion, BMW has not put a foot wrong in the development of this package. Even in its current larger and heavier form it is race-course precise, extrordinarily well balanced, built to a quality level well beyond its price. A bargain, actually

The Getrag shifter and its flawless handling of torque; The best engine of its type, ever built; the hand-built qualities that BMW refuses to relinquish.

If only BMW would provide the American market with the "Light" (weight) version, retaining only the air conditioning to be viable in this pampered driver's market.

Superb Drive
By phil

2005 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car could sell on looks alone, but fortunately it goes like stink, has awesome stopping power, and handles far better than you can drive. You should be sure to drive an SMG before you buy it; I hate them and the Gertrag double clutch system is WAY better. Go with the 6 speed and save $$ and complexity. The ride is harsh on uneven pavement, be sure you want to pay that price for the performance you cannot legally use. The BMW "free service" is insufficient for a performance car, review the previous recommendations (before the free service plan was initiated) and follow that if you plan to keep the car very long. the power is above 4K revs, this car is NOT torquey the way a big V8 is.

Quality, handling, acceleration

Better stereo, satellite radio, more honest service recommendations