Used 2004 BMW M3 Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (67 reviews )

Best sports car ever
By screamerdongie

2004 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have been driving my M3 for the last 4 years. Truly amazing car. So responsive with exceptional handling. It is turning like on a rail I am not kidding. SMG is amazing once you get used to it - takes a while but once mastered you will love it. So much fun driving in the city. I am getting around 18/25 MPG not great but worth it. Lower the gear step on the gas boom you are there. It is rock solid in terms of reliability. No issues whatsoever. Only change oil twice a year around 100 bucks. E46s are probably the most reliable BMW model ever built. I heard M39s are also pretty reliable. This is one of the best sports car ever. Definitely a head turner. I am sad because it is getting older.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, handling, style, reliability, SMG. Handling did I mention that already?

Suggested Improvements

May be interior could have been better.

The Ultimate driving machine
By wa6lie

2004 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

It is hard to put into words about the magical smiles my '04 M3 makes on my face! You need to be the screaming passengers or a gutsy driver to take advantage of what this car delivers! FUN!!. The SMG takes time to learn, but I have a blast at Laguna Seca Raceway! I will have to refer people to the customer M3 reviews seen here to explain what I have to say about my M3! By far the best scariest time in total control! The most fun you can have with your pants on! I have done only 4 mods to my M3. Racing bushings for suspension, -1 degree camber for handling, Cool Carbon brake pads for the track, and K&N air filter. Stock other than that. Can't wait to drive! You have to pry me out of the seat!

Favorite Features

The whole package is well engineered! My wife loves the heated seats, and the business radio, Harmon Kardon stereo system ROCKS! Nice to cruise at 80 mph with the A/C on with AC/DC getting 24 mpg!

Suggested Improvements

SMGII failures due to electrical gremlins and the hydraulic clutch heat sensor placement giving high heat temps in stop and go traffic that leads to the SMG failure cog to lite up. This can be a safety issue!

Awesome!
By harold hare

2004 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Having owned Audi s and BMW x5,330d I finally bought my m3. What a fantastic motor. I went to Manchester via motorway, the other day and recorded 29.6 mpg at a steady 80- 90 mph. This is the best car, by a long way, I have ever owned, a pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

Raw power, and refined power wen needed. Best feature, the smile on my face.

Turbine Smooth
By Dick de Kroon

2004 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 58 cars - this is the very best - first drove a friend's new one in 1994 and vowed I'd get one, one day - well I am fortunate to own such a magnificent beast! The grin factor is huge - I always enjoy starting her up , letting her warm up - then giving more and more stick - and then there's still the Sport button - wow what could a person want? Looks good in an understated way - just the way I like it - best thing I ever did on the motoring side of things! Find myself wondering what I could replace it with - nothing comes to mind!

Favorite Features

Performance - Strong subtle styling, smooth turbine like motor that doesn't seem to run out of breathe. I think the fuel consumption is quite acceptable given the performance

Suggested Improvements

A wife button - detune the motor, and soften the suspension so she can confidently go to the shops in it! She is a bit scared of it!

Perfection on Four Wheels
By Brian Graham

2004 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I just picked up my M3. I got it used with 8800 miles on it. What a beautiful piece of machinery. Stopping, accelerating, handling. Just amazing! The E46 body style is the best! If you can, buy one!

Favorite Features

6-spd SMG, navigation, 333 hp, heated seats, moonroof, etc. No iDrive!

Suggested Improvements

In-dash 6 CD changer behind the navigation system??