Used 2003 BMW M3 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

2003 BMW M3 Coupe

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (45 reviews )

Most Helpful|
M3, fun on wheels
By BMWEMT

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Ive been driving bimmers since 1984, a 325, a633, an M6, a 540 sport, and this M3 is the best of the bunch. Got the premium package with moon roof heated seats and all leather seats. Actually, this is my sons graduation present for next May. When I turn it over, I'll go pick up another one. Just too damn much fun to drive!!!!!

Favorite Features

The upgraded sound system is terrific, with the 6 disc player in the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Only improvement I can think of...Put an 8 cylinder in it. What a monster that would be.

Mid-life ride
By mgrif32

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my M3 in December with 71k miles...had been looking for one for three years before this one rolled on the lot. It has been everything I hoped, and I've even managed to get 21 mpg combined city/hwy. The ride is a little bumpy, largely because of the tight suspension and low-profile tires. But every time I drive it, I get a smile on my face. I don't drive it hard, but I do look forward to on ramps, and it's nice having "video game" speed whenever I want to pass on the highway. Press the accelerator, and it takes off. The stereo is good, but not great, and the factory navigation is obviously a bit outdated, but still neat to have.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration, strong braking, Heated seats, On-board computer, rain-sensing wipers

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded factory stereo package could be better, Key is kind of clunky

Rush of Seratonin and Dopamine driving this car !!!
By m3matt

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is extremely powerful and fast for what it is. For a 3.2L 6 cylinder car this thing has more power and much faster than my 1995 Corvette with a 5.7L V8 that i used to own. Very comfortable ride that handles awesome. You can take turns and bends at very high speeds and it hugs the corners and feels very stable at high speeds. I have the 6 speed manual which I love. Fastest I took it up to was 130 mph in 6th gear and still some room on the tach. the European models can top out close to 180 mph. US models have a restrictor on the somewhere around 140 or so but can override with a chip. Does use a bit of gas depending on driving habits but who cars when your having fun.

Favorite Features

One is the sport mode. It will throw you back in your seat. Also the rush you feel when you are cruising at 40 mph or so, hit the sport mode, drop it down a gear and watch the speedometer climb and feel the car take off.

Suggested Improvements

For the year I think this car was way ahead of its time and would still even give alot of newer cars a run for their money. For example the sporty looking vent grills on the side front fenders. The M3 is the first car I remember seeing do that. Now you see alot of stupid cars in the year 2014 such as Kia Optima, Ford pickup trucks, Ford focus, and a few other crappy cars that stared to put that on their front side fenders.

BMW M3
By Paul

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was on the wait list for the Porsche 997 and decided to get the M3 instead. I would love to own both but do not regret my decision to get the M3. I have been in or owned and/or driven Audi S4, Ferrari 550, Porsche 911T, Corvette Z06. All are outstanding in their own way. Bottom line is that there is no comprable car for the money. Corvette Z06 is a fantastic performance machine but still in essence a 'Chevy.' The C6 may be different. The S4 (2001) was a great car and easier to modify for more horsepower but had severe understeer and turbo lag. I would rather have the 911 turbo or Ferrari but obviously both are in a different price class.

Favorite Features

SMG, appearance, high speed stability, handling, 4 seats, usable trunk

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers, can never have enough torque or horsepower

My BMW M3
By lilqdee2

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I recently purchased a new 2003 titanium silver M3 Coupe. Love the 19- inch rims and the sports/cold weather package. Nappa leather/aluminum trim make the interior gorgeous. I've had the car for about 3.5 months now and the only problems I had were in a loose transmission plate that was replaced and covered under warranty and the snow - this is obviously not a winter-weather car to drive. Since I have the SMG feature and its rear- wheel drive, it was extremely difficult to drive the car around snow patches.

Favorite Features

The car is gorgeous - It definitely gets a lot of attention and performs as BMW state - the "ultimate driving machine"..Worth the $60,000 I paid for.

Suggested Improvements

Minor changes - The seatbelt always gets caught within the seat lever. I would also recommend a built-in compass for those with no Navi system.