Used 2003 BMW M3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW M3

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

BMW M3 - Hype from Reality
By gravis8000

2003 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I previously owned a 2000 M Roadster. Loved the car - a beast. Tight handling, throaty exhaust, a rocket launcher. My buddy owns a 2002 330Ci - refined car, snappy, loved the top. I thought the 2003 M3 w/SMG would marry the best of both. It does - in a way - but after owning it, I still find myself longing for the purity of the M Roadster. It's just as fast (01-02's would actually smoke the E46 M3), handles better, and it's way lighter. The M3 outputs 333HP but it weighs 3780lb. The SMG trans screams at high RPM/track driving, but it takes getting used to around town. For an awesome daily driver for the fam, save the $ and get the 330Ci & buy the M Roadster for the weekend.

Favorite Features

SMG (for race/track driving only, though), Sport mode, HP, excellent handling for the weight, good DSC, power top, 19"s, hard top (improves chassis rigidity) overall appearance, love/hate relationship w/the the back seats for practicality/performance reasons.

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust note stinks. C'mon, for 333HP and this kind of $, I want to be reassured of my purchase every time I step on the gas. The car could go on a 400 - 600lb diet, or beef up with more HP - new vettes and 911's will still smoke ya, along w/majorly modified tuners - the M3 is not invincible.

Overall Bliss
By Chris

2003 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a driver's dream. The complete package of comfort and performance. Outside of the door trim losing adhesiveness, the car has been worry and problem free. You can't help but get out and push the 333hp to the limits. The brakes, steering and DSC help make it as safe as it is fun to drive. There is not other car on the road, providing as much fun as the M3 for the money.

Favorite Features

The 8200 rpm redline seems like the power keeps coming. The overall design, the most beautiful of any BMW. Sport mode, turn up the fun another notch.

Suggested Improvements

Better adhesive to hold the door trim, this seems to be a prominent problem with the M.

BMW M3
By Paul

2003 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was on the wait list for the Porsche 997 and decided to get the M3 instead. I would love to own both but do not regret my decision to get the M3. I have been in or owned and/or driven Audi S4, Ferrari 550, Porsche 911T, Corvette Z06. All are outstanding in their own way. Bottom line is that there is no comprable car for the money. Corvette Z06 is a fantastic performance machine but still in essence a 'Chevy.' The C6 may be different. The S4 (2001) was a great car and easier to modify for more horsepower but had severe understeer and turbo lag. I would rather have the 911 turbo or Ferrari but obviously both are in a different price class.

Favorite Features

SMG, appearance, high speed stability, handling, 4 seats, usable trunk

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers, can never have enough torque or horsepower

One happy M3 owner
By JohnM3

2003 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

My car is a late '03 and it's been nothing but a wonderful driving experience so far. I've put nearly 30,000 miles on it in 18 months and it's been perfectly reliable as a daily driver...no warranty issues. I've even driven in light snow with it, thanks to the abilities of DSC. The best thing you can do for yourself is to take the one day M-school course offered by BMW at their performance delivery center in Greenville, South Carolina. You'll learn all about how to properly use the M3's capabilities. It's cheap insurance!

Favorite Features

1. Acceleration 2. Handling capabilities 3. Build quality 4. Styling inside and out 5. Nav system (a must!) 6. Park distance control (decadent but worth it) 7. Rain sensing, variable speed wipers (trés cool)

Suggested Improvements

The '06 will be totally redesigned so it's hard to know whether my few complaints will be addressed but: 1. Get rid of the annoying buzz in the exhaust system 2. Make a high quality stereo system available; the HK unit is terrible 3. Make the driver's mirror turn down when shifting into reverse

Fun and beautiful car
By Lady M3 Owner

2003 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned a G35, Vette, 330CIC, and this by far is the most fun and good looking car I have owned. I love the SMG trans.

Favorite Features

SMG, Navigation, 19" wheels

Suggested Improvements

Make some of the "extras" standard for a car of this price.