Used 2003 BMW M3 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (45 reviews )

Most Helpful|
BMW M3
By Paul

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was on the wait list for the Porsche 997 and decided to get the M3 instead. I would love to own both but do not regret my decision to get the M3. I have been in or owned and/or driven Audi S4, Ferrari 550, Porsche 911T, Corvette Z06. All are outstanding in their own way. Bottom line is that there is no comprable car for the money. Corvette Z06 is a fantastic performance machine but still in essence a 'Chevy.' The C6 may be different. The S4 (2001) was a great car and easier to modify for more horsepower but had severe understeer and turbo lag. I would rather have the 911 turbo or Ferrari but obviously both are in a different price class.

Favorite Features

SMG, appearance, high speed stability, handling, 4 seats, usable trunk

Suggested Improvements

Better speakers, can never have enough torque or horsepower

Mid-life ride
By mgrif32

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my M3 in December with 71k miles...had been looking for one for three years before this one rolled on the lot. It has been everything I hoped, and I've even managed to get 21 mpg combined city/hwy. The ride is a little bumpy, largely because of the tight suspension and low-profile tires. But every time I drive it, I get a smile on my face. I don't drive it hard, but I do look forward to on ramps, and it's nice having "video game" speed whenever I want to pass on the highway. Press the accelerator, and it takes off. The stereo is good, but not great, and the factory navigation is obviously a bit outdated, but still neat to have.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration, strong braking, Heated seats, On-board computer, rain-sensing wipers

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded factory stereo package could be better, Key is kind of clunky

Rush of Seratonin and Dopamine driving this car !!!
By m3matt

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is extremely powerful and fast for what it is. For a 3.2L 6 cylinder car this thing has more power and much faster than my 1995 Corvette with a 5.7L V8 that i used to own. Very comfortable ride that handles awesome. You can take turns and bends at very high speeds and it hugs the corners and feels very stable at high speeds. I have the 6 speed manual which I love. Fastest I took it up to was 130 mph in 6th gear and still some room on the tach. the European models can top out close to 180 mph. US models have a restrictor on the somewhere around 140 or so but can override with a chip. Does use a bit of gas depending on driving habits but who cars when your having fun.

Favorite Features

One is the sport mode. It will throw you back in your seat. Also the rush you feel when you are cruising at 40 mph or so, hit the sport mode, drop it down a gear and watch the speedometer climb and feel the car take off.

Suggested Improvements

For the year I think this car was way ahead of its time and would still even give alot of newer cars a run for their money. For example the sporty looking vent grills on the side front fenders. The M3 is the first car I remember seeing do that. Now you see alot of stupid cars in the year 2014 such as Kia Optima, Ford pickup trucks, Ford focus, and a few other crappy cars that stared to put that on their front side fenders.

Bavarian Engineering at its best.
By alpswagon

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Love the car, its like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Drives like a luxury car when out of sport mode. But when you push the sport button it instantly turns into a street legal race car. Handles like a dream and puts a huge smile on your face when you drive this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Lines of the car. Love the distinction between the normal 3 series and the M3.

3 years later
By Don

2003 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

As of July '06 I've owned my M3 for three years and it's my daily driver. It is a fantastic experience. It takes a while to learn the SMG but it,s worth it; once you've got it down you'll never regret it. Buttery smooth shifts or burnouts from hell. The ride is pure performance. You feel like your hands are running over the surface of the road. With that kind of input you know exactly what to expect from the car. My M3 has been everything I hoped it would be. I've had any number of total strangers come up to me and tell me how much they like my car. I have no idea what BMW is going to do for an encore but I will be ready, willing and waiting.

Favorite Features

Ride, acceleration, handling, brakes, SMG, looks, comfort, the whole car!

Suggested Improvements

Keep the formula on the next version. I have no idea how it can get better but I'm willing to find out.