2002 BMW M3 Consumer Review: BMW stands for: " Bring My Wal

2002 BMW M3 - Consumer Review

Base Coupe (3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

BMW stands for: " Bring My Wallet !"
By JimH from Tampa Fla on

2002 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I'm a working Joe, military guy, car enthusiast. I've had faster cars and slower cars, but I like BMWs the best. This car is a blast. I got my steel Grey/cinnamon m3,6-sp manual, lease turn-in; 26,000 miles, in 2005. It now has 106,000 miles on it and has cost me over $9300.00 in repairs and maintenance (including 4- sets of tires thus far) over and above my car payments. It's 2010 now, so for 5 years--that's pretty expensive! My m3 got a "new motor" sometime in its 1st owner's life because of the main bearing cap recall. The motor/trans has been flawless! All the complaints that folks have documented are valid for mine. Call me crazy, I still love my m3. It's one gorgeous sports/gt car.

Favorite Features

The fact that it is a raw,"Old School BMW" with a 6-sp manual transmission. Visibility is good all around and the size of the car is just right. It's extremely comfortable, fun-to-drive, gets 20 mpg combined city/hwy and the motor makes awesome sounds as it screams to 8000 rpm. Oh, and it's gorgeous!

Suggested Improvements

The interior cloth--glued window, A and C pillar trim, cannot handle Florida Summers and falls off! I Super- glued it and it worked, looks fine. The leather seats wear rapidly from ingress-egress, even if you are careful. Parts and service are crazy expensive when there's no warranty left.