Beware of the hype...
By Playdrv4me on
2002 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)
In my mid 20s I have owned about 30 cars, many of them BMWs, and BMWs are my favorite by far. Some of them also with higher miles and never a problem. This includes a 2003 Range Rover (highly modified X5 essentially) with over 90k and a 1995 750iL with 114k. My M3 convertible SMG CPO only has 78k and already feels like its falling apart, has been to the dealer numerous times for an engine tap they insist is normal, and is unacceptably loud and harsh for the performance you actually get.
Favorite Features
Prodigious power (though it comes with a price, both dollar-wise and comfort-wise), 3 Series trademark UNmatched styling, convertible top (though a lot of this can be had in the much less expensive and more user friendly 2003+ 330Ci Performance Package (ZHP).
Suggested Improvements
HK audio is horrid compared to the sedan, interior materials could have been better, SMG trans is unnecessary unless you really don't want to shift yourself, race bred engine in a street car is like a chocolate chip and bacon cookie. Sounds good until you try it. Don't buy this car on hype alone.