2002 BMW M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:
Beware of the hype...
By Playdrv4me on 05/13/08 23:28 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

In my mid 20s I have owned about 30 cars, many of them BMWs, and BMWs are my favorite by far. Some of them also with higher miles and never a problem. This includes a 2003 Range Rover (highly modified X5 essentially) with over 90k and a 1995 750iL with 114k. My M3 convertible SMG CPO only has 78k and already feels like its falling apart, has been to the dealer numerous times for an engine tap they insist is normal, and is unacceptably loud and harsh for the performance you actually get.

Fun Car
By Fun Car on 11/06/07 15:49 PM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Great car. Gets around 25 mpg on the freeway! Only reliability issues have been the window trim, ignition modules & other minor things. 100,000 miles and still going strong!

M3 is a great buy!
By Bryan Stone on 09/09/07 14:51 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've really enjoyed owning my M3, as it is large enough to accommodate my family, but plenty sporty enough to really enjoy driving on weekend getaways. On top of that, it's stylish and catches a lot of attention on and off the road.

Best "pound-for-pound" car on the planet
By HRD CLSR on 08/28/07 12:08 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Let me start by stating that I have owned this car for quite some time and still have trouble wiping the smile off my face when I drive it!! This is my 2nd M3. My first was a 97 estorel blue 5 speed. Although it was a wonderful car, it is a Honda Civic in every comparison except handling compared to current. I have never driven a car with such a wide power band. If you are anything above idle, you are flying. The car has amazing "pull" in every gear. Where I live in Fl we have a nice mix of city and highway driving which I enjoy daily. There is no playing field where this car is shy or timid.

Buy it if you can afford the Maintanence
By Phil on 08/10/07 12:05 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Such an awesome car, especially in Laguna Seca Blue. Handling is superb and for the performance a 19-22 overall MPG is pretty good. LOVE LOVE the car. It turns heads everywhere and gets compliments on the color at least once a week. However, the car has been to the shop more than 20X since I bought it. Everything has gone wrong with this car. The biggest problems were the CAT failed ($2000) and also the rear subframe cracked ($1700). The interior is also cheap and the tranny doesn't seem to fit the car, long strokes, clunky, and is not smooth. But that engine and stance makes it worth it... I think. :)

M3 after Nissan Maxima
By Yelis63103 on 03/17/07 16:17 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Japanese reliability and German reliability are 2 different things. My '95 Nissan Maxima had 165k miles and almost no problems. '02 M3 with 40k miles (bought with 28k) does have some issues. 1. Before 28k miles engine: overheating + minor repairs. After 28k miles: water pump failed, windows/locks control module failed, navigation failed + minor issues. If you buy German car, make sure you have warranty. I have 100k miles and 2 years left on mine. Other then that the car is nice. SMG is #1 transmission in the world. DSC does wonders to save your life. Convertible looks sexy! And S54 engine considered to be #1 winner engine in the world from 3 to 4 litters from 2001 to 2006.

'02 BMW M3
By mike on 11/04/06 08:11 AM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Awesome car to drive... absolutely love it!!! The SMG gearbox is the way to go especially if you live where there is lots of traffic.

It's great new, but what about after 50k?
By used M3 on 11/02/06 15:46 PM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Got mine used w/ 49k mi on it. Would not buy brand new - not worth 55k+ (w/options). The car is very well-balanced in terms of power, handling, comfort, and luxury (mine is loaded - heated seats, nav, park sensors, etc.). Don't worry about all this rod bearing talk - it's a RECALL! (ie. get it done for free) and you wont have to worry because it will have new warranty (motor ONLY). The disappointment is the trans/differential. Gearbox is inconsistent - sometimes it's fine but othertimes it grinds from 1-2 at slow speeds. The diff is noticably clunky w/excessive lash-feels like it will fail. Maybe the newer car owners don't feel it but after the car hits 50k be aware. The warranty ends.

Muscular elegance
By Wal on 06/05/06 22:46 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I finally got my hands on an M3 cabrio of my very own. I can’t stop ranting and raving about it. The technology integrated into this machine is nothing short of amazing. I’m blown away by the performance of such a docile looking vehicle. That’s probably my favorite part of owning it. No one knows it’s a hot rod in disguise. Until you mash the go pedal and the rears light up while the car strays sideways. Wow! All this and seating for four adults AND luggage. Used to have an S2000 for 3.5 years before the M3. God bless the S2000 performance, etc, but the M3 really has it all. S2000 performance, but with comfort and room for luggage, the cooler and the Hibachi for the weekend getaways.

M3 Dream
By seasnake on 01/16/06 21:37 PM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The current M3 is a dream for a performance car enthusiast. With few exceptions, it will bury the competition with always blistering accelleration and it will stop in a heartbeat. Handling is second to none, as might be expected with a chassis and mechanics tuned for the Nurburgring. Where else can you buy a world class, track-ready sport coupe that will also seat 4 comfortably - with luggage. Fit, finish and quality of materials is second to none. BMW - form does follow function.