2002 BMW M3 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (61 reviews )
The Ultime Driving Machine!
By mbatista911 on 09/19/13 14:21 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Finally got to buy a 2002 SMG M3 Interlagos Metallic Blue Coupe, what a car! Just have it for two month now, got it with 109,500 on it, and had put it over 1,000 miles already, the only thing I did was change the throttle body sensor and change the oil, everything was about U$375.00 in an aftermarket BMW shop ( don't dare to go to the dealer, they will charge you U$160.00 just to read your car with the computer) so the EML and Engine service soon light went away! Yes it can be a litter expensive to maintenance, but the car won't be breaking every week or turning EML or engine service soon lights on, Is a daily driving car,with no problems!

Awesome Performance. Expensive to Maintain.
By richpsu on 06/01/11 22:02 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I wanted an e46 M3 or e39 M5 since they were introduced. Finally bought '02 M3 MT coupe in 2010. WOW, what a machine! Perfectly balanced, high-revving and powerful engine (love the exhaust note), great in the corners, stops on a dime. Other cars, including the M5, may be faster but this one is just a blast to drive every day. If you're accustomed to owning non-M BMWs, be prepared to spend 3X or more per year to maintain this vehicle. If that's not a problem, then you're going to love this car - it is a true performer! I understand why Edmunds says this will be one of their favorites of all time. I also understand why none of the editors bought it after the long-term test :)

BMW stands for: " Bring My Wallet !"
By JimH from Tampa Fla on 07/18/10 19:06 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I'm a working Joe, military guy, car enthusiast. I've had faster cars and slower cars, but I like BMWs the best. This car is a blast. I got my steel Grey/cinnamon m3,6-sp manual, lease turn-in; 26,000 miles, in 2005. It now has 106,000 miles on it and has cost me over $9300.00 in repairs and maintenance (including 4- sets of tires thus far) over and above my car payments. It's 2010 now, so for 5 years--that's pretty expensive! My m3 got a "new motor" sometime in its 1st owner's life because of the main bearing cap recall. The motor/trans has been flawless! All the complaints that folks have documented are valid for mine. Call me crazy, I still love my m3. It's one gorgeous sports/gt car.

Finally got my M3
By tommyk on 02/04/10 09:45 AM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I sold my 2006 G35 6mt coupe and got an 02 M3. Wow, night and day as far as performance! Yea, the deck rattles from the bass and the front tweeters seem to be blown and the pass side window trim was sagging. But its a $55000 plus car I stole for $15000 and other than the few inexpensive problems its my favorite car ever! So fast, smells german inside, the paint is amazing, the looks, the sounds, the power and yes, even the gas mileage is out of this world. I hope it stays this great! I put 89000 on my G and never one time in the shop. That I will miss and hope my new bemmer does just as well. Dont buy a ragged out one, if they took care of it, it will take care of you. M3 for Life!!!

Very good
By West on 10/19/09 16:59 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is one of the best cars on the planet! I used to have a supra turbo '97 but this BMW kicks its backside. With amazing handling on the track and outstanding acceleration, all in one daily driving car.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By CaliTom on 04/01/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Moved to this car from a 1991 E30 M3 and very pleased with the GT car performance and agility of the 3rd generation of this vehicle. I thought the E36 was lacking in horsepower where the E46 does not. It's practically a race car in it's stock form and not much room for adding more in bolt on improvements. If you can't keep up on the maintenance on this car yourself look to spend a lot at the dealer or private shop. If you want the sexy glamor of a 911 buy one of those, if you want to carry four passengers and walk around a 911 buy this. Suggest getting a rare color other wise it just looks like another 3 series, mine is in Laguna Seca Blue and I get tons of complements on the color...

Everyday Sports Car
By sytyguy on 02/08/09 16:58 PM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Bought used at 35k mi, now have 48k mi. I drive my M3 daily mostly city on the weekdays and occasional highway on the weekends. Since then I've had to replace a battery, driver side mirror slightly discolored on the edge and when it's really cold the passenger side door doesn't unlock on the first try. Besides that the car has been very reliable, even after being to a couple of weekend track events. The only casualties being the tires, brakes and fuel. Great track car that you won't feel guilty driving everyday. Service is expensive, quoted $2k for Inspection II at the dealer, but did myself with $500 in parts. Inspection II is every 35k mi or so.

Street legal race car!
By darkside80 on 01/11/09 18:06 PM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased my 2002 M3 used and it has been fantastic to drive!! Came with the SMG tranny and its a blast to have in the city. Very reliable and the handling characteristics are unbelievable. The 19" wheels are a must have. Currently looking for a convertible model.

Fun Car
By Fun Car on 11/06/07 15:49 PM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Great car. Gets around 25 mpg on the freeway! Only reliability issues have been the window trim, ignition modules & other minor things. 100,000 miles and still going strong!

Best "pound-for-pound" car on the planet
By HRD CLSR on 08/28/07 12:08 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Let me start by stating that I have owned this car for quite some time and still have trouble wiping the smile off my face when I drive it!! This is my 2nd M3. My first was a 97 estorel blue 5 speed. Although it was a wonderful car, it is a Honda Civic in every comparison except handling compared to current. I have never driven a car with such a wide power band. If you are anything above idle, you are flying. The car has amazing "pull" in every gear. Where I live in Fl we have a nice mix of city and highway driving which I enjoy daily. There is no playing field where this car is shy or timid.