2002 BMW M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:
M3 - top down baby
By Heather5586 on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car without ever test driving it. I owned 2 Audi TT's and was ready for a back seat so I decided on the 3 series. I fell in love with the M's because of the sport package, performance and overall look! The car is fun and a real eye catcher. If you own the conv and have long hair you MUST invest in the windscreen! It's a must have and does wonders! I can be cruising on the highway at 80 mph and my hair doesn't flinch! I love it~

The M3 made me a new BMW fan
By JonH on 12/01/08 18:00 PM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

The BMW M3 is a true BMW enthusiast's must-have. I bought this car at 90k miles and have driven it 30k more without many major issues - just one dead gas pedal which cost me ($120, 5 mins to replace), four oil changes ($70 each), air filter, and a few other small repairs (window regulator $200, convertible top sensor $300). If you can even remotely work on cars, you can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the cost of ownership and heighten its reliability. I commute with this car everyday and it's fast, fun, practical, and great in stock form.

Beware of the hype...
By Playdrv4me on 05/13/08 23:28 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

In my mid 20s I have owned about 30 cars, many of them BMWs, and BMWs are my favorite by far. Some of them also with higher miles and never a problem. This includes a 2003 Range Rover (highly modified X5 essentially) with over 90k and a 1995 750iL with 114k. My M3 convertible SMG CPO only has 78k and already feels like its falling apart, has been to the dealer numerous times for an engine tap they insist is normal, and is unacceptably loud and harsh for the performance you actually get.

M3 is a great buy!
By Bryan Stone on 09/09/07 14:51 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I've really enjoyed owning my M3, as it is large enough to accommodate my family, but plenty sporty enough to really enjoy driving on weekend getaways. On top of that, it's stylish and catches a lot of attention on and off the road.

M3 after Nissan Maxima
By Yelis63103 on 03/17/07 16:17 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Japanese reliability and German reliability are 2 different things. My '95 Nissan Maxima had 165k miles and almost no problems. '02 M3 with 40k miles (bought with 28k) does have some issues. 1. Before 28k miles engine: overheating + minor repairs. After 28k miles: water pump failed, windows/locks control module failed, navigation failed + minor issues. If you buy German car, make sure you have warranty. I have 100k miles and 2 years left on mine. Other then that the car is nice. SMG is #1 transmission in the world. DSC does wonders to save your life. Convertible looks sexy! And S54 engine considered to be #1 winner engine in the world from 3 to 4 litters from 2001 to 2006.

Muscular elegance
By Wal on 06/05/06 22:46 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I finally got my hands on an M3 cabrio of my very own. I can’t stop ranting and raving about it. The technology integrated into this machine is nothing short of amazing. I’m blown away by the performance of such a docile looking vehicle. That’s probably my favorite part of owning it. No one knows it’s a hot rod in disguise. Until you mash the go pedal and the rears light up while the car strays sideways. Wow! All this and seating for four adults AND luggage. Used to have an S2000 for 3.5 years before the M3. God bless the S2000 performance, etc, but the M3 really has it all. S2000 performance, but with comfort and room for luggage, the cooler and the Hibachi for the weekend getaways.

Fun car to drive
By igal on 01/09/06 23:39 PM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car is amazing in every aspect lots of power great looks and drive like a dream.

Perfect Sports Car - (with some flaws)
By mountainman on 12/05/04 01:35 AM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I join in all the hyperbolic praise that has been heaped on this car. It is fast, beautiful, handles tremendously, and has brakes that will suck your eyeballs out of your head. Here are the negatives: the convertible top is aggravating; it rattles and squeaks incessantly, and dealers don't know how to fix it. (The solution: leave it down!) The suspension is a bit harsh for daily driving on rough roads. Blind spot when the top is up is pretty bad (The solution: leave it down!). With the windblocker in place, you can't use the back seat. (The solution: leave kids at home!). Biggest gripe: EVERYONE wants to race you - annoying, although you can beat them all.

M3 Hard to beat
By JWSmith on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is an amazing car that is fun to drive. 0-60 in less than 5 seconds. A real head turner.

Parked my M3 Convertible
By 4ocious on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW M3 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I have permanently parked my 2002 E46 convertible with only 9100 miles on it. I plan to sell it ASAP in the Spring. This car has never lived up to its hype. There are a lot of cars out there (ZO6, E55 AMG) that give you better performance, handling, and that good ole' kick in the pants kind of feeling. I don't think I'll buy another BMW.