Used 1999 BMW M3 Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (24 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Critical Owner
By ggrimes

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Purchased from private party, very well cared for by last owner. Wanted a new model but cash strapped because last car totaled by idiot in truck. Rear wheel drive a must last car was front driver (supercharged pontiac) typical GM (poor quality and dealer service) 40K on M3 now and its been solid reliable and fun to drive. Installed 18" wheels, kumho tires, short shifter and aftermarket brake pads to eliminate brake dust.

Favorite Features

Like driving a go-cart, great handling, awesome brakes and utterly predictable handling. Does everything well and it the most fun in the twisty roads you can have. I've had a couple of so call sports cars look very suprised when you pass them.

Suggested Improvements

Little down on power, bottom end torque is limited (drive it like you stole it to get the most out of it) Typical german interior (plain) sound system just OK. The famous brake light circuit defect comes and goes, nobody has found a total answer too that problem.

Best deal to be had!
By V

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

The car is excellent all around. With this bmw, you get it all - style, performance, luxury, and BMW prestige. You can drive in all types of weather, including snow with snow tires, without any problems (except that you'll find yourself wanting to garage it in the winter!). I drive my m3 hard, and it has always performed flawlessly. I am impressed with all of its performance characterics. Don't let small HP and torque number fool you - the germans really know how to put the power onto the pavement with this car. The trunk is plenty big, the back seats could be bigger. Reliability has been excellent with proper maintenance.

Favorite Features

M "clout" - everyone will know you have an M, not just a Bimmer. All the things that come with an M styling, performance, comfort. I've added dinan stage 1 package and the performance is excellent. This is probably the best car for the money these days!!

Suggested Improvements

Interior (visually) is somewhat boring and I haven't found a way to make it more appealing yet. That's it! This car rocks - I really love mine :-)

Dream Time
By Nomaad

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

After about 5 years of driving a '94 325i, I scored a '99 M3, black on black and it's the best thing I've ever purchased in my life so far. I didn't think it could be this fun driving a car. Plus, it's a manual, so the fun never ends. Can't wait to mod a bit, though I don't want to over-do it. Styling is classic. Simple beauty.

Favorite Features

Car is fast! Gets up to 110 without missing a beat, and handles like a champ. Only had it 1 week today!

Suggested Improvements

Suspension concerns still common, rattles a bit but hey,E36s seem to have them. Electronics are iffy too. It rained and I thought I was going to die on I-95, despite new tires, I was still all over the place. Not good, but not bad. Exciting in a way learning to control the beast they call M3.

Everything I expected it to be
By Curtis

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Owned for over 6 years and drive over 100K miles (163K total). Have only brought it in 3x for minor issues (a/c control, brake noise and steering lock failure). All other maintenance and repairs were done myself or by a friend. Have upgraded suspension components (shocks/struts, lowered springs, sway bars, bushings) resulting in a firmer but way better handling vehicle. My brother has a stock M3 sedan and they feel like very different cars now. Power is adequate. People want more, but this car was not designed for straightline speed - no BMW ever has been. Can push the car to its limits without much drama. Plan to keep several more years and surpass 200K miles. Fantastic car.

Favorite Features

handling, braking, understated styling still looks good even though it's over 10 years old, world class engine even though it's a stroked e36 325 motor

Suggested Improvements

rear subframe issues, rear shock mount failures, electronics fail too early

Still smiling two years later
By zupchuck

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my '99 M3 coupe used with 22k miles in 2004. It has been very reliable. It's exceptionally fun to drive. I love taking it on long trips, it is that comfortable. Proper snow tires make this a competant winter car (with ASC of course). Braking is awesome and properly matched to a vehicle capable of traveling so fast, so easily. This car brings smiles to my face every time I drive it. The cockpit is the best I've experienced. It is not cheap to maintain, parts will cost you. Find a good BWM mechanic and avoid the dealerships. I hope I can keep this car for many years. If now has 43k miles two years later.

Favorite Features

Handling, braking, acceleration, comfort, cockpit feel.

Suggested Improvements

less pricey parts