Used 1999 BMW M3 Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

1999 BMW M3 Coupe

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (24 reviews )

Everything I imagined
By JohnnyBoy

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Just bought my M3 used, private party in April. I've been looking in to getting an E36 M3 for a few years now but dcouldn't finad any in my area in good enough shape. Finally found one and boy am I pleased! Exterior styling is very strong! You know it means business just looking at it! Engine is free-revving and doesn't really start to make power until 3500rpm plus. Engine sound is oh so sweet!Mine has a few of the typical E36 problems(sway bar end link rattle, rear shock mount popping, few squeaks here and there) but aside from that is a dream! We'll have to see how it holds up over the next few years!

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, transmission, exterior styling! I live in Pocatello, Idaho; not too many bimmers in these parts. Boy do I get the stares! Sweet car!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major, just typical problems as stated earlier. Spent about $100 to get rid of the rattles(did the work myself). Computer intermittently informs me of a bad brake light circuit, nothing is wrong, just error in computer. Annoying, but I can deal with it to own this car!

Critical Owner
By ggrimes

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Purchased from private party, very well cared for by last owner. Wanted a new model but cash strapped because last car totaled by idiot in truck. Rear wheel drive a must last car was front driver (supercharged pontiac) typical GM (poor quality and dealer service) 40K on M3 now and its been solid reliable and fun to drive. Installed 18" wheels, kumho tires, short shifter and aftermarket brake pads to eliminate brake dust.

Favorite Features

Like driving a go-cart, great handling, awesome brakes and utterly predictable handling. Does everything well and it the most fun in the twisty roads you can have. I've had a couple of so call sports cars look very suprised when you pass them.

Suggested Improvements

Little down on power, bottom end torque is limited (drive it like you stole it to get the most out of it) Typical german interior (plain) sound system just OK. The famous brake light circuit defect comes and goes, nobody has found a total answer too that problem.

1999 bmw M3
By Kyle K

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this M3, My first, about 7 months ago. Its like a Go-cart. It handles as if on rails, and its a blast to drive in the canyons.

Favorite Features

Handling, Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo could use improvement, Engine could be a little more horse power, but im working on that.

BMW M3
By John Elliott

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Overly hyped -- not really that fast -- very nose heavy with lots of body roll. Acceleration is torquey but not blazing at all. This is my second and last BMW. They are very much like Audis -- kind of nice but unrealible and not really all that great a car.

Favorite Features

Good looking car

Suggested Improvements

Bad electronics. Too expensive for what it is.

STILL THE BEST!!!!
By 99E36

1999 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

This is my second M3 in this body and this one is even better than the last, this car has not once been in the shop, and dought it will any time soon, it is the most comfotable car i have ever driven!!! all other sports car aim to handle as good as this car!!

Favorite Features

looks, power, comfort, compliments form other people!

Suggested Improvements

Ride can be firm, but it's a sports car