1999 BMW M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:
Dream Time
By Nomaad on 01/25/10 20:42 PM (PST)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

After about 5 years of driving a '94 325i, I scored a '99 M3, black on black and it's the best thing I've ever purchased in my life so far. I didn't think it could be this fun driving a car. Plus, it's a manual, so the fun never ends. Can't wait to mod a bit, though I don't want to over-do it. Styling is classic. Simple beauty.

Everything I expected it to be
By Curtis on 04/26/09 20:55 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Owned for over 6 years and drive over 100K miles (163K total). Have only brought it in 3x for minor issues (a/c control, brake noise and steering lock failure). All other maintenance and repairs were done myself or by a friend. Have upgraded suspension components (shocks/struts, lowered springs, sway bars, bushings) resulting in a firmer but way better handling vehicle. My brother has a stock M3 sedan and they feel like very different cars now. Power is adequate. People want more, but this car was not designed for straightline speed - no BMW ever has been. Can push the car to its limits without much drama. Plan to keep several more years and surpass 200K miles. Fantastic car.

Best deal to be had!
By V on 03/15/08 19:39 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

The car is excellent all around. With this bmw, you get it all - style, performance, luxury, and BMW prestige. You can drive in all types of weather, including snow with snow tires, without any problems (except that you'll find yourself wanting to garage it in the winter!). I drive my m3 hard, and it has always performed flawlessly. I am impressed with all of its performance characterics. Don't let small HP and torque number fool you - the germans really know how to put the power onto the pavement with this car. The trunk is plenty big, the back seats could be bigger. Reliability has been excellent with proper maintenance.

Still smiling two years later
By zupchuck on 06/07/06 19:48 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

I bought my '99 M3 coupe used with 22k miles in 2004. It has been very reliable. It's exceptionally fun to drive. I love taking it on long trips, it is that comfortable. Proper snow tires make this a competant winter car (with ASC of course). Braking is awesome and properly matched to a vehicle capable of traveling so fast, so easily. This car brings smiles to my face every time I drive it. The cockpit is the best I've experienced. It is not cheap to maintain, parts will cost you. Find a good BWM mechanic and avoid the dealerships. I hope I can keep this car for many years. If now has 43k miles two years later.

Good Start
By BRB on 06/03/06 18:41 PM (PDT)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

This was my dream car for a long time and I finally got one. It had 46,000 miles on it and seemed to be in great condition. For the first 5k miles I added coilovers which made the handling absolutely amazing. Engine is giving me some trouble now, even after always changing the oil and such mantience I get an annoying whine at 2900 rpm. I can't wait to get my next one and have the money to fix any little problem as it arises. Lots of little electric problems as well.

Everything I imagined
By JohnnyBoy on 05/24/06 09:32 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Just bought my M3 used, private party in April. I've been looking in to getting an E36 M3 for a few years now but dcouldn't finad any in my area in good enough shape. Finally found one and boy am I pleased! Exterior styling is very strong! You know it means business just looking at it! Engine is free-revving and doesn't really start to make power until 3500rpm plus. Engine sound is oh so sweet!Mine has a few of the typical E36 problems(sway bar end link rattle, rear shock mount popping, few squeaks here and there) but aside from that is a dream! We'll have to see how it holds up over the next few years!

Critical Owner
By ggrimes on 03/20/06 17:47 PM (PST)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Purchased from private party, very well cared for by last owner. Wanted a new model but cash strapped because last car totaled by idiot in truck. Rear wheel drive a must last car was front driver (supercharged pontiac) typical GM (poor quality and dealer service) 40K on M3 now and its been solid reliable and fun to drive. Installed 18" wheels, kumho tires, short shifter and aftermarket brake pads to eliminate brake dust.

1999 bmw M3
By Kyle K on 01/19/06 01:52 AM (PST)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

I bought this M3, My first, about 7 months ago. Its like a Go-cart. It handles as if on rails, and its a blast to drive in the canyons.

BMW M3
By John Elliott on 12/28/05 22:25 PM (PST)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Overly hyped -- not really that fast -- very nose heavy with lots of body roll. Acceleration is torquey but not blazing at all. This is my second and last BMW. They are very much like Audis -- kind of nice but unrealible and not really all that great a car.

STILL THE BEST!!!!
By 99E36 on 11/26/05 05:25 AM (PST)

1999 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

This is my second M3 in this body and this one is even better than the last, this car has not once been in the shop, and dought it will any time soon, it is the most comfotable car i have ever driven!!! all other sports car aim to handle as good as this car!!