Used 1998 BMW M3 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific M3 model:

Sports Car or Sedan?
By QTip

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

Sports Car or Sedan? BOTH! Who says having 4 doors means your car has to be sluggish and boring? BMW created a vehicle to shatter that misconception. I love the fact that I can go 0-60 in less than 6 seconds and still have groceries all in the same car. Thats not the half of it. The greatest feeling that comes from this beast of a machine is when you take 20 MPH turns at over triple the speed, yet youll still feel glued to the road. This car excedes all of my expecations. Whats can I say, this car keeps me coming back for more. Thats why its my second M3. Its the perfect family sports car.

Favorite Features

The on board computer is extremely helpful in detecting potential problems. I was impressed at the BMW flashlight and tool kit. Who would have thought....

Suggested Improvements

Well so far I realized that BMW parts rarely go out....but when they do be ready to be the local parts guy's best friend.

Do it all sedan
By Sarge395

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I needed practical yet fun. Got it all with the M3. Not a cheap car to own or operate but it was worth it. Took it to Road America for 2 days of track time with the BMW club. Learned a lot about the car and my driving skills. Do it if you get the chance. Owned it now for 5 years and will drive it until it becomes uneconomical to operate. One sweet ride and 4 door practical.

Favorite Features

Styling and handling are outstanding. Classic design. Easy to operate all the functions and excellent safety features. Must get the seat heaters and cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

A little cramped for 4 on a longer trip. Must buy snow tires for winter use. BMW service is expensive.

M3
By BMWBob

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

Flawless and Faultless. Amazing handling backed with all the power any fool should need. Granted a few straight line junkies might need more power, but on a real road this car offers more than enough to get in trouble. The car is a delight to drive and while I have a manual, I have driven the automatic and feel you give up much lees than you might imagine on the switch.

Favorite Features

Handling, handling and handling. Car is well put together and solid.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a 6th gear or an overdrive for long drones on the freeway, otherwise about perfect.

Black Beauty
By pgorsuch

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

Truly remarkable auto. Engine is powerfull and just keeps begging for more. Amazing gas mileage no matter how hard I drive it. Over 30 mpg while driving expressway at 80 mph. Transmission is perfect. Never hesitates just jumps into the next gear. Handles fantastic on the corners. Only drawback is the wide tires which necessitates putting it away for the winter. Can't wait until spring.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission. Engine remains clean even after 6 years. Like the power. When clean, this black beauty looks fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Have had some trouble with power door locks and tail light warning sensor. Side mirrors pop off with a slight touch and have needed service to reinstall them.

M3 4dr Std
By phr

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

Outstanding handling and braking abilities. I prefer the E36 interior and exterior styling to the E46 series. The only way to learn the potenial of this car is to drive it on the track. Spend a weekend getting instruction in the car with the BMWCCA. After that you'll really appreciate what the M3 is all about.

Favorite Features

Cockpit-like interior at night.

Suggested Improvements

More fade-resistent brake pads. Power steering hose is too tight - has blown twice on me. Suspension a litte soft.