1998 BMW M3 Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Bmw M3 - Consumer Reviews

1998 M3 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Owned it for 16 years
By adupont

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought it new and haven't regretted one day of ownership. Tracked it a Buttonwillow in California and that was what made me a believer. Before that I thought I just had a nice coupe. It has unbelievable handling. As the driving instructor said, don't change anything on the car. What needs to be modified is the driver. Been very dependable overall, but there have been many owner fixable repairs, if you are handy. Door panels will need to be regaled if left in hot climate, cooling system is actually not bad IF you change the cooling fluid every three years. Warning! If you put Bilstein shocks on, yur spouse may think the ride is too harsh. Have no plans to sell.

Favorite Features

Handling. Decent fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

maybe more powerful air conditioning

Classic BMW. . .
By E.Monk

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is simply amazing. I have driven it for ten years and loved every day of it. I am still excited every time I get in the car to drive. Although not a "beast" as far as power is concerned, the '98 M3 can out-handle just about any other car on the road. The ride is adequately comfortable, yet the suspension gives every turn a sporty feel. For the most part, this car has been trouble-free (albeit only 55kish miles; water pump, clutch replacement). Some minor complaints: wish there was a 6th gear, fog lights seem to crack easily, poor air conditioning.

Favorite Features

Dakar yellow color - absolutely stunning. Performance. Traction control system makes the rear wheel drive very manageable in snowy weather, especially with all-weather tires. Traction control can also be turned off for sweet burnouts and donuts :) (and hence, my clutch replacement).

Suggested Improvements

Besides the minor complaints listed above, I think BMW pretty much perfected the E36 M3.

Best Car in the World
By Rick

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought the car from a dealer on a lease return 5 years ago. It had 23,000 on it so I had the car three years before I even needed to pay for an oil change. No problems other than a sticky door lock. It is now an 8 year old car and people still say "great car" when I stop for gas or the store. The styling is so good and the look is so ageless, even my friends ask me if I bought a new car every once in a while. 31 MPG regularly on freeway. So much fun to drive I have never been tempted to "upgrade" since I can't imagine liking it more. Once had a cop tell me to take it esy since the car looked like it was going 100 in the parking lot!

Favorite Features

The way it cruises on the freeway and accelerates when you need to.

Suggested Improvements

Make this model again so I can buy another one.

Awesome Car
By RSetzer

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Car is awesome to drive, Dinan stage 4 pushes natural aspiration to the edge. Handling is perfect, onboard computer keeps current diagnostics, power band is perfect, can keep up with if not surpass e46 M3s in power (with upgrades to intake, exhaust, CPU...) and surpasses easily in handling. Steady drive all the way to 135 mph (never tested at higher speeds) and always fun to drive.

Favorite Features

handling and power curve

Suggested Improvements

wider wheels and lower center of gravity

Fantastic Car
By Chalupa72

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

No major mechanical problems at all. The handling in this car is unsurpassed and inspires driving confidence. Despite entering curves at very high speeds I have never felt the car couldn't handle it. The only minor criticisms I have is the rather bland interior and the ridiculous cup holders.

Favorite Features

Handling, Handling, Handling. This car will go exactly where you point it and provide plenty of feedback. You feel connected to the road. Acceleration is fantastic, especially when you get into the 2-3K rpm range. Pulls all the way to redline. Great brakes stop the car on a dime.

Suggested Improvements

Improved interior layout. Not enough storage. Cup holders don't hold much of anything and are placed right where you will knock your drink over when you're shifting. Trunk storage is limited, but you're not buying a car like this to haul lumber.

Great car, an engineering master piece
By Roadwarrior1956

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Just bought it used 6 mths ago and love this car, I own a 94 Z28 also and can't believe how close on power they are. The M3 is like a surgens scapel, the Z28 a battle ax :)

Favorite Features

Handling is amazing, power band adictive, brakes will make you feel like a race car driver. The looks are just right:)

Suggested Improvements

I did the power chip, exhaust and short shifter, all with great results. Still want more power, may put a supercharger on it to realy gets thinks going

98 M3 Coupe
By riznic

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Great Performance and Handling. Fun to drive. Reliable.

1998 BMW M3
By mdolan777

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is the ultimate high- performance everyday drive car. It has everything, and comfort to boot.

very happy
By Prime

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

pure pleasure to own and drive this car, no probloms and a tone of performance. Even with 51000 miles the car is as solid as the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

The engine

terrible reliability
By M3er

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

so far this has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned. The CPO warranty is pretty worthless also, as BMW has many loopholes that allow them to deny coverage of failures. I am sorry I bought the car, despite its performance.