1998 BMW M3 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.2L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )
Owned it for 16 years
By adupont on 08/26/14 11:40 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought it new and haven't regretted one day of ownership. Tracked it a Buttonwillow in California and that was what made me a believer. Before that I thought I just had a nice coupe. It has unbelievable handling. As the driving instructor said, don't change anything on the car. What needs to be modified is the driver. Been very dependable overall, but there have been many owner fixable repairs, if you are handy. Door panels will need to be regaled if left in hot climate, cooling system is actually not bad IF you change the cooling fluid every three years. Warning! If you put Bilstein shocks on, yur spouse may think the ride is too harsh. Have no plans to sell.

Classic BMW. . .
By E.Monk on 04/19/08 23:29 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is simply amazing. I have driven it for ten years and loved every day of it. I am still excited every time I get in the car to drive. Although not a "beast" as far as power is concerned, the '98 M3 can out-handle just about any other car on the road. The ride is adequately comfortable, yet the suspension gives every turn a sporty feel. For the most part, this car has been trouble-free (albeit only 55kish miles; water pump, clutch replacement). Some minor complaints: wish there was a 6th gear, fog lights seem to crack easily, poor air conditioning.

Best Car in the World
By Rick on 05/02/06 16:57 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought the car from a dealer on a lease return 5 years ago. It had 23,000 on it so I had the car three years before I even needed to pay for an oil change. No problems other than a sticky door lock. It is now an 8 year old car and people still say "great car" when I stop for gas or the store. The styling is so good and the look is so ageless, even my friends ask me if I bought a new car every once in a while. 31 MPG regularly on freeway. So much fun to drive I have never been tempted to "upgrade" since I can't imagine liking it more. Once had a cop tell me to take it esy since the car looked like it was going 100 in the parking lot!

Awesome Car
By RSetzer on 12/19/04 05:34 AM (PST)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Car is awesome to drive, Dinan stage 4 pushes natural aspiration to the edge. Handling is perfect, onboard computer keeps current diagnostics, power band is perfect, can keep up with if not surpass e46 M3s in power (with upgrades to intake, exhaust, CPU...) and surpasses easily in handling. Steady drive all the way to 135 mph (never tested at higher speeds) and always fun to drive.

Fantastic Car
By Chalupa72 on 10/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

No major mechanical problems at all. The handling in this car is unsurpassed and inspires driving confidence. Despite entering curves at very high speeds I have never felt the car couldn't handle it. The only minor criticisms I have is the rather bland interior and the ridiculous cup holders.

Great car, an engineering master piece
By Roadwarrior1956 on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Just bought it used 6 mths ago and love this car, I own a 94 Z28 also and can't believe how close on power they are. The M3 is like a surgens scapel, the Z28 a battle ax :)

98 M3 Coupe
By riznic on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

Great Performance and Handling. Fun to drive. Reliable.

1998 BMW M3
By mdolan777 on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is the ultimate high- performance everyday drive car. It has everything, and comfort to boot.

very happy
By Prime on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

pure pleasure to own and drive this car, no probloms and a tone of performance. Even with 51000 miles the car is as solid as the day I bought it.

terrible reliability
By M3er on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 BMW M3 Coupe 2dr Coupe

so far this has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned. The CPO warranty is pretty worthless also, as BMW has many loopholes that allow them to deny coverage of failures. I am sorry I bought the car, despite its performance.