1998 BMW M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:
Great handling, lots of fun
By pyite on 09/11/11 21:06 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost 2 years now, and it just feels great to drive. Check the "Melted Rubber" web site for a thorough review. With 230 HP, it is not going to win too many drag races; and I only get 25 mpg with 95% freeway driving. I could probably squeeze a couple more out of it, but it is practically impossible not to be a leadfoot. One thing to watch out for if you get one is the routine maintenance. It is typical for people to neglect this until 130,000+ miles, at which point the car will likely need shocks, bushings, etc all around and a clutch. BMW st^H^H dealers have turned overcharging into an art form - finding a good independent mechanic will save you a fortune.

Best Overall Sports Car Ever
By Kevin on 07/25/10 17:07 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have had my 4 door M3 since 2003. I bought it from a private dealership with only 17K miles on it. I added the Dinan software one day at the dealership on a whim and wow 155 mph and I had to stop. It might have done 160, but who knows, I could also have gone to jail because of that. Used it as a daily drive until 2007. Now it is strictly for weekends and appointments. I have a truck for daily use now. Now have 107K miles. Normal maintenance and no major problems thus far. I could keep this car forever. My 9 year old son loves it and wants me to keep it for him when he gets 16. Yeah right!

Awesome Car, Hope it Lasts Forever!
By M3 Cruzer on 07/10/09 17:24 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I wish it would last forever. I bought it used with 15K miles on it in 2002. I have driven it 90K+ miles with 100% reliability, it has never broken down once. This car is so much fun to drive that I can't imagine stepping down to any other car. I am forever spoiled! With 105K miles, this car still feels new. This is not exactly an inexpensive car to own. I get about 23 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving. Tires cost $1K every 25K miles. I have probably spent $5K+ on routine maintenance during the seven years I have owned it. Who cares though, what I love about this car is that it has 4 doors, hauls, gets 23+ MPG, has achieved 100% reliability to date, and is a blast to drive.

Commute to Work & Run at the Glen
By Melitameister on 07/27/08 06:03 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

In my 60s and after driving economy family cars for many years, a friend gave me low down on E36 M3s. Found one cheap with 95k on odometer. Now, excited every time I climb in, even just for the short drive to work. Recently signed up for BMW Club "driver's school" at Watkins Glen and got to run total of over 100 minutes over two days hitting 130, sliding through corners at 80 and passing some hot cars. Will be doing that again! The feel of the road in this thing is so perfect you can't imagine the fun. Plenty of smooth power at all speeds. Quiet, winding country roads are heaven on earth. Shoot past cars when passing. Best way to have an affordable world class driving experience.

The best there is
By MARKSS on 08/19/07 13:53 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have had my M3 for almost 2 years now and absolutely love it. It is powerful, agile, looks great, and still feels solid even with 113,000 miles on the tach. Only a few problems; ac is very weak and some of the LEDs on the dash are going out, but hey, the car is almost 10 years old. I love how my M3 communicates with the road; the newer BMWs aren't as in tune with the driver. It definitely inspires confidence on the track, although winter driving is very scary. If you can afford to, have a different car for the winter (if you live in a state like Colorado). I plan on driving this car until the wheels fall off. By the way things are looking, that will be a very long time from now.

Finally got my dream car
By MARKSS on 04/15/07 14:22 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have wanted an M3 sedan since they came out in 1997. Now that they are about ten years old, I am finally able to afford one. I have had mine now for a little over a year. It had 96000 on it, and now has 107000. It is still solid as a rock. I have driven it in high performance driving schools and autocross races. It is very quick and very stable, yet perfectly comfortable for everyday driving. The only complaints I have are the lack of steering wheel adjustments and a weak air conditioner. If you are sitting in traffic for more than a few minutes on an 85 degree+ day, it starts blowing hot air. Other than that the car is perfect. Most people are surprised when I tell them that it is a 1998.

Eight years old and we can't let go
By pb on 05/25/06 13:31 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

This car is great fun to own and although we've strongly considered the purchase of a newer E46 or E90 3 Series, we couldn't do it, this car is too good. Our E36 M3 is an automatic (so wife could drive comfortably, too), would've preferred manual, but no danger of the expensive missed shift that many seem to report with the stick. Automatics seem less likely to have been flogged, as well. Our's was in excellent shape when purchased with 50K on the clock and remains so with 64K. Extreme fun in the twisties and very efficient on the freeway. If you've got one, keep it.

Wow what a car!
By BMWbiker on 04/20/06 19:01 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I took delivery new USA model 11/7/97 in Europe. It took a week to get broken in and then it ran 148mph on the 'bahn with euro chip. Mine is a stick "all real BMWs.." But I spent a day on the track with an automatic and was very impressed. I have added the Dinan Exhaust and Chip so 255hp likely 150mph or maybe more? Dealers are really expensive/greedy, but basic maintainence is pretty easy, you save $100 an hour. If you need help there are lots of talented/reasonable independents who are passionate about the cars. Once I wanted a convertible, but after driving the more flexible and heavy, (fat) chassis I became truly happy with my sedan. Will keep it until it is worth 40k again.

Amazing M3
By Matthew S. on 06/01/05 20:15 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I purchased my M3 as a certified pre- owned about 2 years ago. The car is flawless. It can out run or keep up with many cars on the road today, easily. It is very quick, responsive and handles as if it's on rails. You can basically attack corners with this car and never feel over your head. The car also makes you look and feel like a better driver. The functionality of the car is also impressive because you can carry four adults in relative comfort with a few bags of luggage in the back. Most of all the car is fun to drive and will definitely put a smile on your face whenever you drive it.

1998 M3 Sedan is outstanding
By mmit0126 on 09/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

This is the best handling car I've ever driven! I look forward to driving it all the time; from going to and from work, or just to the store--it begs to be driven! I have put in the following upgrades: Jim Conforti's Shark Injector software, Conforti's Cold Air Intake, Bavarian Auto's adjustable camber plates (to take out the slight understeer), UUC's power pulleys, UUC's short shifter and double shear selector rod.