1998 BMW M3 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M3 model:
Owned it for 16 years
By adupont on 08/26/14 11:40 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

Bought it new and haven't regretted one day of ownership. Tracked it a Buttonwillow in California and that was what made me a believer. Before that I thought I just had a nice coupe. It has unbelievable handling. As the driving instructor said, don't change anything on the car. What needs to be modified is the driver. Been very dependable overall, but there have been many owner fixable repairs, if you are handy. Door panels will need to be regaled if left in hot climate, cooling system is actually not bad IF you change the cooling fluid every three years. Warning! If you put Bilstein shocks on, yur spouse may think the ride is too harsh. Have no plans to sell.

Great handling, lots of fun
By pyite on 09/11/11 21:06 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost 2 years now, and it just feels great to drive. Check the "Melted Rubber" web site for a thorough review. With 230 HP, it is not going to win too many drag races; and I only get 25 mpg with 95% freeway driving. I could probably squeeze a couple more out of it, but it is practically impossible not to be a leadfoot. One thing to watch out for if you get one is the routine maintenance. It is typical for people to neglect this until 130,000+ miles, at which point the car will likely need shocks, bushings, etc all around and a clutch. BMW st^H^H dealers have turned overcharging into an art form - finding a good independent mechanic will save you a fortune.

Best Overall Sports Car Ever
By Kevin on 07/25/10 17:07 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have had my 4 door M3 since 2003. I bought it from a private dealership with only 17K miles on it. I added the Dinan software one day at the dealership on a whim and wow 155 mph and I had to stop. It might have done 160, but who knows, I could also have gone to jail because of that. Used it as a daily drive until 2007. Now it is strictly for weekends and appointments. I have a truck for daily use now. Now have 107K miles. Normal maintenance and no major problems thus far. I could keep this car forever. My 9 year old son loves it and wants me to keep it for him when he gets 16. Yeah right!

da bomb
By mlebauer on 04/16/10 15:36 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 2dr Convertible

Owned this car for almost 10 years, love it almost as much as my family. It stays parked most of the winter, but now that spring has sprung, pop the top and hit the twisties. It handles like a slot car, nothing tracks better. Not the most powerful, but the horsepower race is overrated. Mine is a 5 speed, a 6th cog would be nice, but NEVER would I consider a self-shifter. Car is all smiles :-) Even 12 years old I still find people gathering around it in parking lots.

Awesome Car, Hope it Lasts Forever!
By M3 Cruzer on 07/10/09 17:24 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I wish it would last forever. I bought it used with 15K miles on it in 2002. I have driven it 90K+ miles with 100% reliability, it has never broken down once. This car is so much fun to drive that I can't imagine stepping down to any other car. I am forever spoiled! With 105K miles, this car still feels new. This is not exactly an inexpensive car to own. I get about 23 MPG in mixed city/hwy driving. Tires cost $1K every 25K miles. I have probably spent $5K+ on routine maintenance during the seven years I have owned it. Who cares though, what I love about this car is that it has 4 doors, hauls, gets 23+ MPG, has achieved 100% reliability to date, and is a blast to drive.

Commute to Work & Run at the Glen
By Melitameister on 07/27/08 06:03 AM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

In my 60s and after driving economy family cars for many years, a friend gave me low down on E36 M3s. Found one cheap with 95k on odometer. Now, excited every time I climb in, even just for the short drive to work. Recently signed up for BMW Club "driver's school" at Watkins Glen and got to run total of over 100 minutes over two days hitting 130, sliding through corners at 80 and passing some hot cars. Will be doing that again! The feel of the road in this thing is so perfect you can't imagine the fun. Plenty of smooth power at all speeds. Quiet, winding country roads are heaven on earth. Shoot past cars when passing. Best way to have an affordable world class driving experience.

A Quality Car You Will Enjoy
By Bryan Delong on 07/05/08 14:38 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 2dr Convertible

This is a well engineered car that is a blast to drive. The car is balanced and poised on either back roads or the highway. Maintenance costs can be high, but this is the trade off for owning a great sports car. My M is ten years old and still handles and drives better than many new cars. The convertible may not be for everyone, but I love the top down cruising. Find one that has been taken care of and you will not regret it.

Classic BMW. . .
By E.Monk on 04/19/08 23:29 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 2dr Coupe

This car is simply amazing. I have driven it for ten years and loved every day of it. I am still excited every time I get in the car to drive. Although not a "beast" as far as power is concerned, the '98 M3 can out-handle just about any other car on the road. The ride is adequately comfortable, yet the suspension gives every turn a sporty feel. For the most part, this car has been trouble-free (albeit only 55kish miles; water pump, clutch replacement). Some minor complaints: wish there was a 6th gear, fog lights seem to crack easily, poor air conditioning.

The best there is
By MARKSS on 08/19/07 13:53 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have had my M3 for almost 2 years now and absolutely love it. It is powerful, agile, looks great, and still feels solid even with 113,000 miles on the tach. Only a few problems; ac is very weak and some of the LEDs on the dash are going out, but hey, the car is almost 10 years old. I love how my M3 communicates with the road; the newer BMWs aren't as in tune with the driver. It definitely inspires confidence on the track, although winter driving is very scary. If you can afford to, have a different car for the winter (if you live in a state like Colorado). I plan on driving this car until the wheels fall off. By the way things are looking, that will be a very long time from now.

Finally got my dream car
By MARKSS on 04/15/07 14:22 PM (PDT)

1998 BMW M3 4dr Sedan

I have wanted an M3 sedan since they came out in 1997. Now that they are about ten years old, I am finally able to afford one. I have had mine now for a little over a year. It had 96000 on it, and now has 107000. It is still solid as a rock. I have driven it in high performance driving schools and autocross races. It is very quick and very stable, yet perfectly comfortable for everyday driving. The only complaints I have are the lack of steering wheel adjustments and a weak air conditioner. If you are sitting in traffic for more than a few minutes on an 85 degree+ day, it starts blowing hot air. Other than that the car is perfect. Most people are surprised when I tell them that it is a 1998.